Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    If you are working out early in the morning, I don’t think you should be fasting until 10am. I’m not an expert, but I think you need to eat something before or after the workout. Not 4 hours later. And if you’ve been fasting since 6PM, then you are working out after 12 hours of fasting and not eating for another 4 hours. I don’t think that’s a good move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ditto to this!!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Guys, I’m going to stop doing the IF. Since I’m counting calories, I’m going to preplan breakfast and lunch and keep my calories low. I’m going to try to increase protein and veggies.

I have a new line in the sand that I’m going to draw. I’m not going to eat dessert except once per week at our weekly family meeting and if I’m at a social function. No candy, cookies, cakes, or pies during the week. I’m a sugar junkie with no control. Drawing solid lines helps me to stay on track.

I think I’ll continue to do high intensity workouts three mornings a week but I’ll sub in yoga or stretching for 3 mornings. I miss walking (an exercise I did when I had young kids at home). I’m giving myself the gift of two hour long walks per week. They’re good for my physical and mental health.

Thanks for helping me think that all through! I’ve got a bad cold right now so I’m only doing yoga and trying to get rest. As soon as I feel better I’m going to jump back in!

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That sounds like a good plan! I was doing HIIT classes, and I was getting myself so exhausted that I really couldn't be effective for the rest of the day. I've also spaced out the HIIT workouts to every other day. Most of the people in my class seem to be able to go every day and are in amazing shape. But, I've just never been an athlete and I had to accept that it was just too hard on my body. I'm hoping to work up to 5 days a week, but if I don't, then I don't! Also, I have been trying to add in Protein and I now do Cottage Cheese or Yogurt and Protein Shake right after working out, and it really has helped.

I did do the metabolic testing, and my baseline to lose weight is 1200 calories and 1500 if I work out. They stressed that I should not go under these calories, and that protein really is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by lovin2shop View Post
    That sounds like a good plan! I was doing HIIT classes, and I was getting myself so exhausted that I really couldn't be effective for the rest of the day. I've also spaced out the HIIT workouts to every other day. Most of the people in my class seem to be able to go every day and are in amazing shape. But, I've just never been an athlete and I had to accept that it was just too hard on my body. I'm hoping to work up to 5 days a week, but if I don't, then I don't! Also, I have been trying to add in Protein and I now do Cottage Cheese or Yogurt and Protein Shake right after working out, and it really has helped.

I did do the metabolic testing, and my baseline to lose weight is 1200 calories and 1500 if I work out. They stressed that I should not go under these calories, and that protein really is the key.
    Thanks for sharing this! That's incredibly helpful. I will consider increasing my calories on days that I work out hard.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I really think diet matters a huge amount with more intense workouts, especially when strength training is involved. I have been doing boot camp style workout classes for almost 3 years, and I can definitely tell a difference in how well I do based on my diet, both during the workout and after. And I agree with keeping those intense workouts to about 3/week. Even as long as I have been going, if I try to do more than 4 days per week, it is just too much. And, to lose weight, i have to eat higher quality calories in addition to limiting overall calorie count. I think once you make these changes, you will notice a big difference. And you might have to experiment with what you can eat before and after a workout to still feel good. My best breakfast option is overnight oats made with Greek yogurt. I typically have to eat them 45-60 min before a workout to have energy to workout, but not have issues with reflux, etc, while working out. Trial and error and you will hit on what works for you. Just keep at it and don’t let any of this discourage you. You are doing a great job of listening to your body and making adjustments. Keep it up!
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

I’m lost without IF. I swear I spend all day thinking about and wanting food. Maybe I can change my exercise time? It’s so hard to find anything during the day though. 6 am has been perfect as I’m alone and I have enough time to get dressed and ready for the day afterward. I do feel markedly better when eating closer to exercise. What a conundrum!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I’m lost without IF. I swear I spend all day thinking about and wanting food. Maybe I can change my exercise time? It’s so hard to find anything during the day though. 6 am has been perfect as I’m alone and I have enough time to get dressed and ready for the day afterward. I do feel markedly better when eating closer to exercise. What a conundrum!
    I’m wondering if you’ve tried not counting calories and restricting portions but just ate only healthy foods. Sometimes restriction can really backfire. When I go to lose weight, I have to increase my food intake, and I absolutely must eat first thing in the morning. That’s what gets my metabolism going. But, I do a sugar cleanse for the first two weeks, no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, corn, bananas, carrots, peas— pretty much nothing remotely starchy, also no fruit. This is tough, but I’m still eating lots of food, so I’m not hungry. This two week cleanse pretty much thoroughly kills cravings for me. After that, I might occasionally add in things from the starchy list, though I try to do whole wheat pasta and brown rice or quinoa instead of their white counterparts. If you do normally eat breads, pastas, and starchy vegetables, (or cakes, cookies, and chips) this change should drop weight off quickly and easily without your being hungry or needing to count calories. I snack throughout the day on veggies, nuts, bits of chicken, sometimes cheese. I never let myself get hungry, so I can keep the portions really small. I eat a lot more veggies than anything else. I do try not to eat at night, but if I need a little something, I will eat it. It really works to keep my diet healthy, and I can eat enough food to keep me energized. I could never maintain any sort of diet where I felt hungry all the time. That would make me miserable!

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    I’m wondering if you’ve tried not counting calories and restricting portions but just ate only healthy foods. Sometimes restriction can really backfire. When I go to lose weight, I have to increase my food intake, and I absolutely must eat first thing in the morning. That’s what gets my metabolism going. But, I do a sugar cleanse for the first two weeks, no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, corn, bananas, carrots, peas— pretty much nothing remotely starchy, also no fruit. This is tough, but I’m still eating lots of food, so I’m not hungry. This two week cleanse pretty much thoroughly kills cravings for me. After that, I might occasionally add in things from the starchy list, though I try to do whole wheat pasta and brown rice or quinoa instead of their white counterparts. If you do normally eat breads, pastas, and starchy vegetables, (or cakes, cookies, and chips) this change should drop weight off quickly and easily without your being hungry or needing to count calories. I snack throughout the day on veggies, nuts, bits of chicken, sometimes cheese. I never let myself get hungry, so I can keep the portions really small. I eat a lot more veggies than anything else. I do try not to eat at night, but if I need a little something, I will eat it. It really works to keep my diet healthy, and I can eat enough food to keep me energized. I could never maintain any sort of diet where I felt hungry all the time. That would make me miserable!
    Thank you for weighing in so carefully. I really wish that I could do that. I have no self control around sweets and I’ve been naturally skinny my whole life (until 4th baby and late 30s!) I have no experience with healthy eating. When I follow my numbers I geveralky feel good.

I think my problem is just that I need to figure out some set meals and now I need three instead of two. I checked out a few low carb/paleo books from the library today. Im not planning on restricting carbs per se but I’m looking for more low carb options to augment my usual meals. Despite my best efforts I usually get AT LEAST 45% of my calories from carbs and I’d bet that most of my life the percentage was much, much higher. I think insulin resistance might be part of my weight gain and hunger problem and so I feel like low carb might help with that.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Thank you for weighing in so carefully. I really wish that I could do that. I have no self control around sweets and I’ve been naturally skinny my whole life (until 4th baby and late 30s!) I have no experience with healthy eating. When I follow my numbers I geveralky feel good.

I think my problem is just that I need to figure out some set meals and now I need three instead of two. I checked out a few low carb/paleo books from the library today. Im not planning on restricting carbs per se but I’m looking for more low carb options to augment my usual meals. Despite my best efforts I usually get AT LEAST 45% of my calories from carbs and I’d bet that most of my life the percentage was much, much higher. I think insulin resistance might be part of my weight gain and hunger problem and so I feel like low carb might help with that.
    Bisous - my experiences is very similar to yours. I have always been very slim despite having the worst eating habits. Lots of sweets and breads. I love fruit and am learning to eat veggies. I’ve put on 20 lbs in the last few years and cannot get it to budge. I can lose wait if I drop sugar but put it right back on after dieting. I’m moving to a veggie full diet and hoping that might get me some traction. Good luck - it’s so hard!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

This probably doesn’t help but I made peace with my weight. It’s not where I want it to be but I just won’t go on any major diets or eliminate anything totally. Maybe I have a poor sample size but I’ve only seen people regain the weight after doing that. I exercise and eat pretty well (but definitely allow myself some treats!) and I exercise daily. I do those things for my health, not to lose weight. Yep, I’d love to finally ditch these 15lbs but my weight is steady. It hasn’t budged one way or the other in years. I do have Hashimotos thyroid disease and weight issues come with that territory. My dose just got upped so there’s a chance my eating and exercise habits might move the needle now but I’ve stopped hoping for that. I focus now on building my endurance, weights I can lift and challenges I can take on. I’ll go for toning what I have. Good luck on your journey!!
    (You caught me in a zen mood- I’ll probably flip back in a few weeks or months )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast