Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    1200 calories isn’t enough if working out regularly. You also need rest days. Workout no more than 5 days and rest 2 days. I do Fitness Blender programs and they have 6th day as stretching only routine and 7th is rest. Their programs have HIIT and you’re only supposed to do that 2-3 times a week and not back to back days. If you’re doing full intensity every workout it might be too much. If you’re doing strength training, are you having rest days so you’re not over working the same muscles?

When I started working out I increased protein. Snacks are nuts, cottage cheese with fruit etc

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I haven't been subtracting my workouts. I'll start doing that. The Nike App also recommends just three workouts a week with a fourth day for mobility (yoga or stretching). I've been trying to amass 150 minutes a week. I wish I could just find the time to walk but that requires daylight at which time I'm just so busy. I'm sure MANY of you are in that same position! Right now I exercise in between dropping off DS1 at early morning seminary and before my other kids wake up. The slot is PERFECT. But I can't be out of the house as DH is already gone and besides it is cold and dark. Maybe two walks a week and then a couple of Nike app workouts?

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I think it's based on how in shape you are. It's accurate for me. Maybe an occasional workout will be harder or easier than labeled but the majority are right on.
    That's what I'm wondering. It is also based on your reps. So when I'm doing full body squats I am PUNCHING it. When it tells me to do mountain climbers I'm trying to kill it. Maybe I need to actually work at a moderate pace--or else count it as more intense exercise. Or do more of a rep based workout? Or I'm just out of shape.

Quote Originally Posted by ray7694 View Post
    What diet are you following?
    I do intermittent fasting for one thing. I eat only from 10:00am to 6:00pm.

I'm trying to do low carb but I"m not doing a great job. The best I can do seems to be around 40% of my diet in carbs. I don't eat a lot of bread or rice or potatoes or starches. I eat fruits and veggies but I also eat oatmeal and fiber one bars which help me with regularity.

I generally eat my first meal at 10:00 and it includes a fiber one bar, some oatmeal and apple slices, some other kind of raw veggie and then I can't quite figure out what else will fill me up. I just can't ever figure out how to feel full. This past week I was eating different kinds of yogurts. I saw a HUGE difference between the high fat Greek yogurts and the cheaper, more sugary yogurts! I wish those were slightly less expensive. I like savory foods then too. I like eggs. I like leftovers. I'm HUNGRY at 10:00. I eat most of my calories at 10:00.

Then I can hold it until about 2:00pm when I have a protein drink.

Then I usually eat dinner of some kind of cooked meat (almost always chicken) and whatever veggie I"m having. And then I see what I have leftover, if anything.

I've been loving being able to plan for some splurges too. I had a piece of Chocolate Silk Pie the other night past my fasting window. I added it to the next day in my fitness pal and just ate a whopping 700 calories less that day. It was a little tough but honestly to my brain it was worth it to know that pie could be a part of my life still, lol. Looking forward I might eat HALF of a piece of pie.

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    It might help if you find a good app to track exercise and calories. If you go too extreme (i.e., too few calories and too much exercise), you can put your body into "starvation" mode and it will then fight to hold onto every bit of fat, lower your metabolism, and keep doing that even when you return to a normal diet. I think everything I've read says it makes more sense to make "permanent" lifestyle changes rather than switch to an extreme diet that you can't maintain for the next few decades. This is why diets that show quick results often lead to the person gaining all the weight back PLUS more.

I encourage you to read a little more about weight loss and incorporate some weight lifting/strength training into your routine, too. Good luck!
    I've actually read a lot about weight loss but much of what I read contradicts itself. For example, I've read that the starvation mode thing is not accurate. The fat cells hang onto every calories REGARDLESS of how much or little we consume and that only by eating less will we be able to get to a drastically different weight. All those folks on biggest loser pretty much need to consume 800 calories a day in order to stay thin. Which is crazy. I don't know if it is even advised to do that for years. I recently read a study that eating low carb diets can actually change metabolism. I even posted about that one because it contradicted another study that says once weight is gained the fat cells always want to hold onto that weight and that several years into the study they don't show any sign of relenting.

I don't know that I think 1200 is too few calories for me though. I am trying to set up an eating plan that will last the rest of my life. I was one of those teenagers, and then 20yos, and then even 30yos that could eat absolutely anything and not gain weight but in the past ten years or so my metabolism has changed. I am finished getting pregnant and nursing and finding that I need less calories than I previously thought. I feel like tracking my calories has gotten me back in touch with what my body needs metabolically. Last week was a bit of a hiccup because I really felt a bit of a setback with regard to energy. I really appreciate all the help in this thread to help set me straight!

So after reading your wonderfully helpful posts, I think I'm going to:

Eat better, as I know I should.

Aim for three hard workouts a week and one mobility workout with the Nike app, and maybe two walks a week if I can squeeze those in there. I will make sure that I have a total rest day at least twice a week.

I will start deducting exercise from my daily food log. Meaning, if I exercise hard, I will be able to add calories back onto my day.

I will drink more water.

I think I will continue trying to tweak my diet and just adhere more closely for a time to see if that makes me feel better.

I am open to suggestions on food! And exercise! I appreciate all your ideas. As smiles33 mentioned, I want to make this work for now and for always.

If you are working out early in the morning, I don’t think you should be fasting until 10am. I’m not an expert, but I think you need to eat something before or after the workout. Not 4 hours later. And if you’ve been fasting since 6PM, then you are working out after 12 hours of fasting and not eating for another 4 hours. I don’t think that’s a good move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    That's what I'm wondering. It is also based on your reps. So when I'm doing full body squats I am PUNCHING it. When it tells me to do mountain climbers I'm trying to kill it. Maybe I need to actually work at a moderate pace--or else count it as more intense exercise. Or do more of a rep based workout? Or I'm just out of shape.
    I do a similar pace to the video. Faster isn’t always better either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need protein in the morning. And you need to eat protein close to your work out time. Greek yogurt is awesome at 23 grams of protein per cup!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

I’m not a fan of simple calorie counting diets or fasting precisely because it’s not enough about eating the right foods or creating a lifestyle you can maintain in the long term. I’d worry less about portion/calorie control and focus on eating low glycemic foods (so severely cutting and then replacing with whole grain, bread, rice, pasta but retaining veggies other than corn, potatoes, peas, carrots— the high glycemic ones), protein, and good fats. For any kind of muscle building, (which is good for weight loss) you need at least 20g of protein within an hour of working out. If your fasting is messing with adequate protein intake, you should change your schedule. Focus on eating lean meats and tons of veggies. Lettuce can replace bread, cauliflower can replace rice and mashed potatoes, spiralized squashes can replace pasta (though I still just eat whole wheat pasta every once in a while. I’m not a squash fan). Don’t get hung up on what foods should get eaten at what time of day. You can eat chicken or salad in the morning if you want. You don’t have to eat typical breakfast foods. Nuts and Greek yogurt are great sources of protein for snacks and in your food (like nuts in a salad). Fruit will start to taste very sweet when you cut out processed sugars (like the ones in your protein bars— you should stop eating those!) and a little bit of dark chocolate will go a long way, too. If you have a bite, but just one bite, of things like cake, you still get the indulgence of tasting something sweet, but you don’t put a lot of sugar into your body. I’d start focusing on health, fueling your body with whole foods that give you protein, raise your energy level, and are good for you. I’d also eat a decent amount of food. When I don’t eat enough, my metabolism really slows! Whenever I want to lose weight, the first thing I have to do is almost double my food intake, making sure those foods are almost exclusively vegetables and lean protein (not dairy, fruit, or grains), and up my exercise. I hope you can find a diet that works for you!

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Am I doing it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    If you are working out early in the morning, I don’t think you should be fasting until 10am. I’m not an expert, but I think you need to eat something before or after the workout. Not 4 hours later. And if you’ve been fasting since 6PM, then you are working out after 12 hours of fasting and not eating for another 4 hours. I don’t think that’s a good move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes you may want to look at timing of exercise and your fasting. Intermittent fasting research does say to work out in fasting state, but I don’t do this and I’ve lost about 25 pounds this last year and gained muscle. Some weeks it’s a lb, some weeks it’s less or zero, but over the months the scale has gone down. My eating window is 12-8pm and I work out about 5pm. I’ve eaten 2 meals before I workout and I have a protein snack after a workout. A few times I worked out without having eaten as working out earlier and I’ve had to stop part way through workout and go get some food. It was too high intensity and no fuel for it, so working out in fasting state doesn’t work for me. Maybe try small protein snack before a workout? I’m very flexible with the intermittent fasting, some days my eating window is 8 hours, some days it’s more as I ate earlier or later.

You have to listen to your body and change to what it needs. My goal is to lose weight and build muscle... well you can’t build muscle with too low a calorie deficit, so I haven’t cut back drastically. I eat oatmeal, fruit, yogurt at 12pm, around 2 it’s a salad with chicken or tuna/nuts/cheese/small amount of salad dressing and then snack is either nuts or cottage cheese and fruit. I workout then have another small protein snack if dinner is too far off. Then I eat dinner. I don’t calorie count, but I know it’s over 1200 calories for sure. It maybe slower process, but it’s working. I’m working on changing body composition rather than reach certain weight in the scale, so I lift weights 2-3 times a week. I’m 138 lbs now but wearing clothes that used to fit at around 130 lbs last time I wore them.

I know I recommended the Fitness Blender programs before. I like it because it takes out the guesswork of scheduling workouts so it’s balanced and I don’t over train. They’re fitness experts, so I rather pay $15 for a 4 week program that I can repeat as often as I like than try to figure it out myself. I’ve been learning as I do their programs, so I probably could do it myself now, but starting out I had no clue how to create a balanced workout program for the week. Lifting weights and HIIT has been life changing, I’ve never been so fit or strong.

Last edited by niccig; 03-12-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast