niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default 2 steps forward, 1 step back

Ugh.. venting. DS was making progress with his nerve pain disorder. He was using his leg more, taking stairs, hanging out with friends. Doctors have told us he needs to get back to daily life then pain will go away. Today we had to get him from school as has new pain in his back, and it increased when he walked so school nurse had him in a wheelchair. He can hop around house with crutches but it hurts. Doctors think he may have muscle strain but due to pain disorder, all pain is amplified. Ibuprofen hasn’t helped, today so it’s probably a new flare up of the pain, which has happened before, but not this bad. I don’t think he can go to school tomorrow. I’ll call and get what work I can from his teachers. Next week is Spring Break, so he just needs to get through this week.

So it’s a setback, but damn it, he was getting better.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Have you considered red light therapy? It seems easy to try and couldn’t hurt (as I understand it)....

http://graspingforobjectivity.com/20...-therapy.html/

I’ve followed this blogger for years.
    DS 2/09

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll look into it. DS has a pain condition where pain system is turned on and won’t turn off. It’s not physiological, there nothing physically wrong with muscles or nerves for pain signals to be sent. Ibuprofen would help if it was muscular, but there’s been no change, so the back pain is probably a new pain flare up that he’s going to have to deal with by doing physical therapy, seeing psychologist and nerve blocker medication that doesn’t help much. No pain meds alleviate nerve pain. His symptoms were improving in his leg, so hoping the same happens with this new pain

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll look into it. DS has a pain condition where pain system is turned on and won’t turn off. It’s not physiological, there nothing physically wrong with muscles or nerves for pain signals to be sent. Ibuprofen would help if it was muscular, but there’s been no change, so the back pain is probably a new pain flare up that he’s going to have to deal with by doing physical therapy, seeing psychologist and nerve blocker medication that doesn’t help much. No pain meds alleviate nerve pain. His symptoms were improving in his leg, so hoping the same happens with this new pain

Is it AMPS? There's a kid in DS's class who is dealing with that.

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    Is it AMPS? There's a kid in DS's class who is dealing with that.
    CRPS
    His leg is getting better, his wrist pain is gone, so hoping the back pain improves. Just awful to watch and can’t do anything to take away the pain.

Update: DS went back to school today. He’s using crutches again but he’s moving much better than Monday. He decided to not use crutches in house saying it’s short distances and he know he has to get back to regular movement. His teachers emailed me work he could do, so he went back without missing too much work.

Because he was making progress, the new pain threw us into a spin for a bit, Monday was tough day. But we’ve now accepted it and know there’s no quick fix to the pain.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

This sounds so hard! I'm sorry you guys are having to deal with it. Have you looked into alternative practitioners? We have had so much progress with an integrative doc with DD and myself. We've just started with DS and have already had some progress on his issues. DD had SIBO which is really hard to deal with and she is basically back to normal now which is phenomenal. My other thought is have you looked into CBD oil?