Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't understand why these people didn't just buy a building to get their kid(s) in, you know, the old-fashioned way for rich people to guarantee admission. (Not that I don't support endowments and other contributions, and I don't really care if they buy their way in by naming a building.) It just doesn't make sense to me.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    I don't understand why these people didn't just buy a building to get their kid(s) in, you know, the old-fashioned way for rich people to guarantee admission. (Not that I don't support endowments and other contributions, and I don't really care if they buy their way in by naming a building.) It just doesn't make sense to me.
    Because a building costs way more money

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

There were CEOS, Mossimo (designer), others too. As niccig said, These kids already had it made!
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    There were CEOS, Mossimo (designer), others too. As niccig said, These kids already had it made!
    I also read quickly how Huffman’s oldest daughter really wanted to get in USC as her only choice. Also kiddo made YouTube video of herself saying she’s just in to do game days and party. Got a lot of throwback for that comment she made, so something tells me I wouldn’t be too surprised if the kiddo was aware of what moms doing to get her in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I hope any and all that are still students get expelled.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Omg
    In some cases the parents are trying to do this without the kids knowing what they’re doing. I mean the level of deceit is just astounding to me. But maybe this is how rich privileged people think.

https://deadspin.com/here-are-all-the-incredible-details-from-the-college-ad-1833236579?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=dea dspin_copy&utm_campaign=top
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

In the cases with the “athletes” it was the team/coach that took the bribe so the kid never had to play, just get admitted on athletic talent instead of academic talent. With the academic testing deceit these parents were paying for fake disability accommodation needs so this would theoretically follow them into college and therefore keep them enrolled longer with poor grades. But honestly most colleges keep you enrolled so long as you stay above a 2.0 so a kid who isn’t smart enough on paper to get into Yale or Stanford may be smart enough to keep their head above water at a 2.0. Plus once in, is someone really going to kick a famous/rich person’s kid out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    In the cases with the “athletes” it was the team/coach that took the bribe so the kid never had to play, just get admitted on athletic talent instead of academic talent. With the academic testing deceit these parents were paying for fake disability accommodation needs so this would theoretically follow them into college and therefore keep them enrolled longer with poor grades. But honestly most colleges keep you enrolled so long as you stay above a 2.0 so a kid who isn’t smart enough on paper to get into Yale or Stanford may be smart enough to keep their head above water at a 2.0. Plus once in, is someone really going to kick a famous/rich person’s kid out?

They kids/parents probably paid people to take the tests in college, too. It's a huge scam. People pay others to sit all kinds of tests--MCAT, LSAT, SAT, ACT, the bar exam, and university exams. There was recently a news piece on NPR talking about how much cheating is done from international students from a certain country. Some of those students who were caught cheating at one particular university were trying to file a counterclaim that they were racially profiled--which they probably were. Something needs to be done to level the playing field for honest people, but I'm not sure what. These people are all from the most privileged backgrounds.

ETA: I know people who sent their kids to medical school in the Caribbean for the same reasons. Their kids could not have gotten into med school in the US, so they sent them to schools in the Caribbean, and then they finagle their way into getting licensed in the US and get them residencies at low grade hospitals through their contacts.
    Last edited by div_0305; 03-12-2019 at 07:50 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

An Ivy League school has never been of interest here. We’ll happily settle for a “lesser” school. Not that anywhere is totally immune but it’s nice not to drive ourselves nutty trying to play the Ivy League game.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The Deadspin article is really interesting. At the end are some of Lori Loughlins daughter's instagram posts that illustrate that she probably wasn't up for college, apparently she found going to class hard.

The use of fake athletic photo's/fake profiles (a 5'5" kid who was supposedly a basketball recruit), kids playing sports that weren't even offered at their schools, although I shouldn't be shocked, obviously there are not enough checks and balances to prevent this from happening.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast