Thread: Rome

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Rome

I'm taking DS2 to Rome for three or four nights in early June for his eighth grade graduation. I've only been there once, 25 years ago, on a backpacker budget so I'm looking for recommendations for a good VRBO/airbnb or the like or a great hotel that's centrally located, walking distance to sights. He's a huge history buff and I'm having him research what he actually wants to spend our days doing, but I'm the one figuring out lodging and meals.

So please hit me with your best Rome picks. I know quite a few folks have been in the past couple of years. I'll poke through the old threads too.

And - one day trip suggestion if you have one for a kid who loves ancient history and military stuff.

Thanks!

See my trip report for Italy--Rome is the last few "pages" so I think it is in the comments below the body of the trip report. As I stated in the report, do NOT stay where we stayed. For an apartment, go through One Fine Stay--great apartment management company. I will say that the are where we stayed around Piazza Navona was fantastic for food, transport, etc. Get the Roma pass we got--includes bus access. For day trip--Pompeii or Herculaneum or both!!! That was truly amazing. The other possibility would be all of the WW I sites north of Verona--between Roveretto and Bolzano. I have a trip report on those as well. I would arrange to do that through a tour company, though.

https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...eport-1660951/
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

erosenst is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You don't mention a budget - but when I went many (many!) 'not tour' people suggested getting a driver/tour guide for a day - makes a huge difference there if you can swing it. You can get to/from where you want to go, and go to the places that interest YOU the most.

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Not fancy, but we stayed near the Piazza Navona at Residenza Canali ai Coronari. Great location.

Quote Originally Posted by erosenst View Post
    You don't mention a budget - but when I went many (many!) 'not tour' people suggested getting a driver/tour guide for a day - makes a huge difference there if you can swing it. You can get to/from where you want to go, and go to the places that interest YOU the most.
    Any leads on a reputable company to do that with? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by marinkitty View Post
    We used Dark Rome.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It wasn't a full "day trip", but was a little further afield than most people I've talked to go when in Rome -- the catacombs are awesome! We really enjoyed our tour and learned a lot about the history of Rome, too. I know there's multiple -- we went to Domatilla, althought we've heard good things about others, too.
    Lizi

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    It wasn't a full "day trip", but was a little further afield than most people I've talked to go when in Rome -- the catacombs are awesome! We really enjoyed our tour and learned a lot about the history of Rome, too. I know there's multiple -- we went to Domatilla, althought we've heard good things about others, too.
    That sounds cool - thanks! I found this interesting (to me) Angels & Demons tour and suggested it my son and he said "Mom, I'm going for history, not conspiracy theories" - shot down! LOL! But maybe catacombs are historical enough.

erosenst is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It's been 20 years so...no . But I would call one of the nice hotels and ask for their suggestions if no one here has any. Or lurk a bit on the nicer cruise line boards that go to Rome. Good luck!

Back to say that I actually have had good experience starting with TripAdvisor Top 10 lists - I'd check a bit further but think it's a great starting point. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ome_Lazio.html. If they only show 'prescheduled' tours, I'd contact to see if they will do a tour just covering what you want to see - or one of theirs may fit what you wanted to do anyway.
    Last edited by erosenst; 03-14-2019 at 07:13 PM.