Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default S/O What should happen to the Varsity Blue Investigation Students?

Articles on the investigation indicate that there were over 800 clients that participated in the fraud to some degree. The US Attorney didn't have the evidence to indict them all. But what should happen to the kids who were admitted as a result of fraud? Some have graduated, but should universities be given the names of students to handle themselves? Should students be kick out, or have their degrees revoked?

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Definitely not have their degrees revoked. They attended and got their degree (if they graduated). It's in the past over and done. But yeah, I think current students should probably get kicked out at this point.
    DD
    DS

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Good question. Agree with Electra - past is done but as for current students-
    I think they should be expelled. I would think they would have been complicit in all this. I am having a hard time understanding how an 18yo would not realize that they aren’t really a water polo star or that they didn’t really earn a 1450 on the SAT.

I doubt current students will get expelled though. I’m sure they will get lots of sympathy from people , especially the kids and will be treated as innocent victims in this whole thing and ppl will say how there is no need to punish the kids for mistakes of their parents. David Mamet already wrote an open letter defending the parents and how they were pressured by society to do what they did. White privilege at its finest. So yeah, I’m guessing they will be allowed to stay in school. They weren’t indicted , so at least public universities will use that as a reason.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m Guessing most of these kids have gone their whole lives being treated like this and being the product of extreme entitlement, so they may not have realized there was anything fishy going on. Things just happen for them. Of course the ones who pretended to be rowing a boat for a photo or suddenly got excellent scores on tests had to have known what was happening ����
    I’m guessing there are different levels of involvement, which will be hard to prove. Anyone who is currently in college and who is part of this scandal should be forced to transfer, though I’m not sure who else will want them.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For the kids, unless they have specific evidence of their involvement, I would let it be. Who knows what these kids may have accomplished without their parents involvement. Perhaps, they could have done better than their parents feared. Why should they have their college career ruined because of their parents. If they were complicit, then they should be expelled.

I think those that were accepted this year (to start in the fall) should have their applications reviewed to remove the fraudulent materials and then reassessed in light of their actual achievement. If they wouldn’t have otherwise been accepted, they should have their acceptances revoked. Those who were admitted and have been adequately completing their work are earning their degrees and should be allowed to stay unless the college or university already has rules in place about application fraud or puts rules in place as a result of this situation. I imagine some schools do have rules about application fraud in place. The thing is, if the students admitted under false pretenses are earning their degrees by their own efforts, even if they wouldn’t have otherwise been there, they do deserve the degree. If I were at those universities, though, I’d be closely examining those students’ work to make sure it’s their own work! I’d also be firing any employee who knowingly participated in the fraud. I just don’t think there’s a way to prove the students knew this was being done on their behalf. It’s not that I think they were all unknowing, but I doubt it could be proven in many cases. Note that only the celebrity moms caught on tape were arrested, not the dads. It’s highly unlikely the dads didn’t know this was happening, but without proof, there’s little that can be done other than dragging their names through the mud. And even that doesn’t seem to be happening. All the focus is on the moms.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by elektra View Post
    Definitely not have their degrees revoked. They attended and got their degree (if they graduated). It's in the past over and done. But yeah, I think current students should probably get kicked out at this point.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

It won't happen but I'm okay with having their degrees revoked. These are most likely the same kids who cheated their way through college. Or at least, the burden of proof is on them to prove that they did the work and earned the degree. Since they didn't earn their admission, I don't know why we would assume they did their own work. I really have no sympathy for any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    It won't happen but I'm okay with having their degrees revoked. These are most likely the same kids who cheated their way through college. Or at least, the burden of proof is on them to prove that they did the work and earned the degree. Since they didn't earn their admission, I don't know why we would assume they did their own work. I really have no sympathy for any of it.
    That is my thought too. Who’s to say they really earned their degrees? I would be poring over their student records, exams, thesis, and everything else! I also really don’t get why keep it different to those who have long graduated and those who are just newly accepted/current students. They’re all tarnished, imo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    For the kids, unless they have specific evidence of their involvement, I would let it be. Who knows what these kids may have accomplished without their parents involvement. Perhaps, they could have done better than their parents feared. Why should they have their college career ruined because of their parents. If they were complicit, then they should be expelled.
    Yes to this, and honestly unless they are on academic probation and or had little to do with the cheating I think they should remain anonymous and be able to stay in school. I can’t imagine the non celebrity students want this kind of attention for the mistakes that their parents made.

There were men arrested as was Mossimo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast