Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It could be that he has an intolerance of some degree. I would talk to your ped about other calcium and vitamin D sources.

Have you tried almond milk? Coconut milk?

I take a chocolate calcium supplement (with vitamin D) and my DC have taken tums for calcium in the past also.

I didn’t know much about supplementing for iron, but will your DC eat spinach (raw for salads or cooked with lemon?) and meat (beef/chicken/turkey)?

Hang in there, mama. Your doing a great job.
    K

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    We did a prescription liquid iron supplement and it smelled like a wrought iron fence (ewwww) but my child would drink it mixed with orange juice. The vitamin c also helped with absorption. It brought our numbers up into the normal range pretty quickly and they stayed there with repeat blood draws.
    My 5.5 lb, slightly preterm, kiddo was put on liquid iron quite early. I wish someone had warned me that — in addition to the smell — it would leave rust stains on everything! All her clothes were covered in rust stains, and I never found anything that took them out. Be forewarned—large bibs, etc, are your friends

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    My 5.5 lb, slightly preterm, kiddo was put on liquid iron quite early. I wish someone had warned me that — in addition to the smell — it would leave rust stains on everything! All her clothes were covered in rust stains, and I never found anything that took them out. Be forewarned—large bibs, etc, are your friends

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Oh yes, I have heard this! My 7 yr old is the one who needs the iron and hopefully he can manage to not get it everywhere !
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

DS drank milk from a bottle until he was 4-we all survived. For the smoothies-I do the same thing-fruit and kefir and then I add vanilla protein powder-it’s very good. Heavy cream and butter are good add ins for many things when weight gain is necessary. Good luck!!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Huge hugs to you. Both my DC were preemies and off the charts small. We would take them to the peds for weight checks and hold our breathes while they weighed them. It was so stressful. Some of the things we did for weight gain was add heavy cream, butter, olive oil, avocado to their food as much as possible.

I started my guys on fruit smoothies and gradually increased the amount of greens. Maybe add a bit of spinach after your DH has served himself?

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    My DH makes a fruit smoothie with kefir every night and the kids like that, but DH won't drink it if it has ANYTHING green at all in it! So he's no help.

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

One more suggestion for calcium: get those single-serve yogurt tubes and freeze them. My kids, until they were quite old, thought they were ice cream. Siggis brand doesn’t have a ton of extra sugar.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    One more suggestion for calcium: get those single-serve yogurt tubes and freeze them. My kids, until they were quite old, thought they were ice cream. Siggis brand doesn’t have a ton of extra sugar.
    This is a good one! My kids do love these. In fact, I think I need to introduce these to DD again. WE took a break for some reason...

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    I'll have to see if DS can open those by himself, they would work well in school lunch.

The toddler is doing a little better with his milk; I guess he is accepting that bottles are not coming back.
    We saw the Dr today about DS's iron and it is actually within normal range, but she feels like supplementing can bring it up a little and that should help with his restless leg symptoms.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2