Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default WARNING: potentially offensive? related to NZ shooting

I’m in CT and the kids around here play it. I don’t remember it growing up and I lived all over the US growing up, but I have many friends who say they played it as kids. It’s a game of “made you look”.

I understand not wanting it to be misconstrued or offending someone but given it has only more recently been hijacked by white supremacists, do we do our culture a disservice by letting them take ownership of it? Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

This was known as the white power symbol in our area when I was in high school, so 20 years ago. I’ve never heard of that game.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

And I agree with PP, it’s different to me than the ok symbol. I’d never even seen the similarities until this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jbbhb View Post
    This was known as the white power symbol in our area when I was in high school, so 20 years ago. I’ve never heard of that game.

Okay the internet says I’m wrong and I think it’s right .

I think I was remembering this symbol from high school... https://www.adl.org/education/refere...ower-hand-sign

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I know the game. DH and friends played it growing up. We will do it with the OK emoji on texts

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    I have no idea about the link to white power, but I have seen/heard of the game. It was featured on an episode of Malcolm in the Middle at one point.

No other comments on it other than I'm glad to know of the link so I can talk to my kids about it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1glTOFPECNI

this is the EXACT game my kids are playing at school (except they don't punch each other, they flick each other in the head.) Weird that it has such a dark meaning now.
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

I had never heard of the game or the white power symbolism until a few months ago. A Facebook friend of mine posted about it and she and many of the people commenting were shocked that people didn’t know it was a white power symbol.

I’m black, and I do this all the time when somebody hits a three in a basketball game. My nine-year-old does it, too. I see it all the time at basketball games. A llot of the time you either hold it up over your eye or down toward the side. *shrug*
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My understanding, from several places, is it started as a 4Chan trolling thing, "Let's own the Libs and MSM by saying the OK symbol is a white power symbol", but if you say it enough times it becomes reality. So these idiots/criminals probably want to use in as some ironic way to be a joke AND be a symbol. Culture is a funny thing, its spreads like a virus and has a life of it's own. Which was the initial source of the concept "meme" before we dumbed it all down and decided it was a picture with a phrase that got spread by social media.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’ve never seen the game and haven’t heard about the gesture either.

I've never heard of the game and only recently became aware of the WP association (the up fingers form a W) although I knew it wasn't a great gesture to use in Italy and parts of Europe.

I do not know what I would do. Once some people associate it, you can disassociate it and the kids can get tagged as being apart of it although they are clueless.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast