Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    So, during the Kavannaugh hearings Zina Bash made that symbol. People freaked out. It was a big deal (I thought). People were saying it was a white power symbol, others said no it was an urban legend.
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nat...wMO/story.html

https://www.snopes.com/news/2018/09/...naugh-hearing/

Well, it seems like if nothing else it's gone from urban legend to an actual symbol.
    My kids and I had a discussion about this game and as to whether it was a white power symbol. We are in NE in a very liberal area where there is quite a bit if discussion on diversity and respecting everyone’s differences. I mention this as op wondered if this was a TX, south thing. DS who is in hs had played that game fooling around with his friends including his best friend who is black. Dd had heard it was a white power symbol so we googled it and came up that it was an urban legend. I would say that we did this in the last 3 mo or so. Just in case the kids decided to stop playing the game. Seems like it is involving away from just bring an urban myth. I would discourage kids from playing the game not to give it power to the hate groups but rather to prevent the kids intent from being mis-perceived

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmomtobe View Post
    My kids and I had a discussion about this game and as to whether it was a white power symbol. We are in NE in a very liberal area where there is quite a bit if discussion on diversity and respecting everyone’s differences. I mention this as op wondered if this was a TX, south thing. DS who is in hs had played that game fooling around with his friends including his best friend who is black. Dd had heard it was a white power symbol so we googled it and came up that it was an urban legend. I would say that we did this in the last 3 mo or so. Just in case the kids decided to stop playing the game. Seems like it is involving away from just bring an urban myth. I would discourage kids from playing the game not to give it power to the hate groups but rather to prevent the kids intent from being mis-perceived
    The thing is, whether it is a white power symbol is no longer a matter of opinion. It is. There’s no decision to be made on that score. The only decision to be made is whether, knowing that this once innocuous symbol now is, in fact, a symbol of hate, will you choose to use it, or will you use a different hand gesture in your game.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4