Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    I just want to add that Costco is really good about letting you return food that you don't like. So the granola bars that you have can be returned. I think the rule of thumb is that they would like most of the items to still be in the box for the return.
    Hmm. Maybe I'll do that. We ate 2 of 64 granola bars. Thanks.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    It sounds like you got a really grumpy associate but that makes NO sense. You should be able to still spend your rebate whether you renew or not and they always advertise you can cancel your membership with refund if you are unhappy. Honestly, I would email corporate. They are usually so awesome about everything.
    I think you must be right about the grumpiness. Maybe she was annoyed I had purchased things and then wanted to not renew. I only bought a storage box and a pair of gloves though - less than $20.
    Kris

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree that you had an atypical customer service rep. Ours are always fantastic and never question any returns. The only return I ever had an issue with was when I was returning electric toothbrush heads because I bought the wrong one and lost one of the heads. They still accepted the return. Always try to bring in the packaging if you can. They can look up the receipt/purchase thought your membership so no issues if you no longer have the receipt.

If you receive an rebate check, that is money that you've earned...that shouldn't have a baring on your cancellation, other than not being able to earn rewards after the cancellation: https://www.citi.com/CRD/PDF/faqs.pdf Also, you do not need to spend that money in the store. You can cash your reward check at the customer service desk and use it however you'd like.

I also agree that their cakes are wonderful! Yes...they are HUGE but the flavor and $ savings are worth it. We only eat a fraction for our celebration and I bring in the remainder to one of my kids' school for the staff to enjoy. They are very welcome during that mid-afternoon slump.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

One more question - I got a big gift card with the travel and still have about $60 left on it. Can I use it after I cancel? Can I use it at the gas station maybe?
    Kris

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    One more question - I got a big gift card with the travel and still have about $60 left on it. Can I use it after I cancel? Can I use it at the gas station maybe?
    You can still use the card. You can even cash it in at the customer service desk I believe. I cash in my rebate checks all the time, since I would rather earn more points that pay with the rebates.
    I don't know about using it for gas, since you need to use your Costco card first to ensure membership and I don't know if scanning the gift card would work. But using it in warehouse, for sure. There are deal threads about how you can shop at Costco without a membership just by having a member purchase you a gift card.
    mom to Billy 12/07

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
    You can still use the card. You can even cash it in at the customer service desk I believe. I cash in my rebate checks all the time, since I would rather earn more points that pay with the rebates. T.
    Oooh smart! We have a huge rebate this year and haven’t used it yet so I will do this instead.

melwe is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I had a similar (but slightly different) experience with the upgraded membership as the OP, so I only pay for the normal membership now.

I also tend to get a less than pleasant experience when I return items there also. They will process the return but do so... very reluctantly. I always hear about their amazing return policy and customer service and that has not been my experience. Maybe it's just be my Costco, I don't know? I still prefer them to our local Sams Club.
    Melanie

DD 12/06
    DS 9/2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2