Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Costco membership refund

I joined about 18 months ago at the base membership to give it a try when there was a deal. In Feb 2018, I upgraded to the membership that gives rebates since we booked Universal and Disney trips through them. In October, I shopped and found out that my membership was expired, so renewed it at the register. They can only renew the same level, so I went to customer service to downgrade to the base membership. I wasn't sure I actually wanted to renew, so I asked if I could not renew instead and she asked if I had gotten my rebate check. I had not. She said I had to renew for another year or I would not get the check, so I did. I asked if I could cancel for a prorated refund after I got the check and was told I could do that, but would have to not have purchased anything or return what I had purchased. Since I had already done that, I just figured I was in it for the year. But, I really don't shop there. I went this week for the first time since October and spent the rebate check at least. But, I just can't find things there because I'm not there enough and we have not had luck finding Kirkland food that we like, so I've given away a ton of things and am clearly losing money here!

So, the prorated refund only if I return it all seems weird. I mean it's prorated, so I would have paid for the membership when I bought the things. The website says it can be refunded at any time, but doesn't mention having to return everything or not. I have given away things we just haven't liked (and have a nearly full box of granola bars no one likes), so I can't return those or the much of the rest of the things.

Does this sound right? I know it's only $30 for the prorated amount, but I'm not going to use it, so would rather have the refund.
    Kris

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’ve never heard about having to return what you purchased - that doesn’t make too much sense. I’m surprised they made you renew when you didn’t want to. Sounds like a bad customer service rep, which is very unusual for Costco in my experience. I’d not hesitate to get a refund, and I’d push for a greater percentage.
    DS 2/09

emily is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Agree with PP. Does not sound like Costco at all. Go get your refund. I bet if you mention your experience they might ever offer you a full refund. Costco’s great CS is one of the reasons I drive an hour each way once a month to shop there.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by Smillow View Post
    I’ve never heard about having to return what you purchased - that doesn’t make too much sense. I’m surprised they made you renew when you didn’t want to. Sounds like a bad customer service rep, which is very unusual for Costco in my experience. I’d not hesitate to get a refund, and I’d push for a greater percentage.
    The rebate check was $90 and the renewal was $60, so it made sense to renew so I'd get the rebate check. I didn't want to give up the $90. Maybe I should have just to keep it simple though.

I'll go back this week and see if I can get the refund. Thank you both!
    Kris

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    The rebate check was $90 and the renewal was $60, so it made sense to renew so I'd get the rebate check. I didn't want to give up the $90. Maybe I should have just to keep it simple though.

I'll go back this week and see if I can get the refund. Thank you both!
    That is definitely strange, because I get my rebate check before we renew, so it isn't tired to whether we decide to renew.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I could help you shop better at Costco! Off the top of my head, I like my membership for travel, cakes, tortilla chips, vanilla, evaporated cane juice sugar, pencils, gardening gloves, ibuprofen and clothes. Lots more too but right now my membership expired and I am going to renew because of cake. $18.99 and they serve like 50 people and taste way better than any grocery store cake. (I know the ingredients aren't good but I'll let it slide once in a while). I only have the regular membership though. I hope you can get it straightened out!!

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I could help you shop better at Costco! Off the top of my head, I like my membership for travel, cakes, tortilla chips, vanilla, evaporated cane juice sugar, pencils, gardening gloves, ibuprofen and clothes. Lots more too but right now my membership expired and I am going to renew because of cake. $18.99 and they serve like 50 people and taste way better than any grocery store cake. (I know the ingredients aren't good but I'll let it slide once in a while). I only have the regular membership though. I hope you can get it straightened out!!
    We did use it for travel last year, but have no plans for this year. If it worked out, I'd do it again for that. Great price to start with and the rebate was a bonus.

I usually make our cakes but if I buy them, I think Costco would be way too big. I don't need cake for a week, although DD would love that if it's buttercream frosting! Our extended family is 13 people, but 3 don't eat any cake. I can get the rest of the things at Sam's Club, which is just easier to shop at for me. I think it's a combination of location/access and having signs so I can find things inside.
    Kris

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Costco membership refund

I’m the go to shopper for swim team, musical and other organized activities that sometimes need cake. Never had a personal occasion for it.
    But, yeah, if you use Sam’s you don’t need Costco too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just want to add that Costco is really good about letting you return food that you don't like. So the granola bars that you have can be returned. I think the rule of thumb is that they would like most of the items to still be in the box for the return.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

It sounds like you got a really grumpy associate but that makes NO sense. You should be able to still spend your rebate whether you renew or not and they always advertise you can cancel your membership with refund if you are unhappy. Honestly, I would email corporate. They are usually so awesome about everything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast