Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default I can’t sleep more than 5 hours at s stretch!

Do I have a newborn? No. A stressful job? Nope. Sick kids. Well, yes. But they’re sleeping fine. What’s the problem? I have a cold. That’s it. Head cold. No fever. Snotty, coughing, congested.

What happens is I head to sleep and get up to five hours of sleep. Then I wake completely congested and once I get clear I just can’t mske myself go back to sleep! I don’t want to be stuffed up anymore! So I’m so sleep deprived and ridiculous right now. Because of a COLD. I think I might actually be turning into a man...

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well I also think your body may be trained to not sleep as compared to other people. You also probably can't take Benadryl or the like because you can't/don't want to be be that knocked out. You have been getting up in the middle of the night for so long, I am amazed at your strength.

Hope tonight is a better night sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    Well I also think your body may be trained to not sleep as compared to other people. You also probably can't take Benadryl or the like because you can't/don't want to be be that knocked out. You have been getting up in the middle of the night for so long, I am amazed at your strength.

Hope tonight is a better night sleep!
    Well that was very nice to read! Thank you. I just need to banish this head cold and keep on trucking!

Since NyQuil isn't an option, how about Vicks Vapo Rub and a humidifier? That really helps me. Good luck!! You deserve sleep!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Well, IMO, head colds are worse than stomach bugs! Sure, stomach buga have the gross factor but head colds just last so much longer (around here) and definitely affect my brain's ability to function. Hope it goes away quickly!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Well, IMO, head colds are worse than stomach bugs! Sure, stomach buga have the gross factor but head colds just last so much longer (around here) and definitely affect my brain's ability to function. Hope it goes away quickly!
    I feel the same! This summer I had the worst case of stomach flu but I'd take that any day over the congestion I'm feeling right now. Also, I've developed rebound sinusitus to almost everything so I'm really on my own for anything nasal congestion related.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm right there with you! I seam to wake up after 4-5 hours. Only one thing seams to help - get up and shower. I got an old-fashioned ugly shower cap and get in the shower for a few minutes until I can breathe again, then go back to bed. I don't want to, but otherwise I just lay there miserable. Better to spend a half hour and get back to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I'm right there with you! I seam to wake up after 4-5 hours. Only one thing seams to help - get up and shower. I got an old-fashioned ugly shower cap and get in the shower for a few minutes until I can breathe again, then go back to bed. I don't want to, but otherwise I just lay there miserable. Better to spend a half hour and get back to sleep.
    I'm going to try this tonight!!

I got a nap today. DD is also home today (weird school holiday) but I just put on a netflix show for her and laid down on the couch with her. She woke me up about every ten minutes or so to "snuggle" but I honestly got about an hour in total and I feel like a new person! I may try to convince DS1 to take a 30 minute spell watching the little kids today to see if I can grab another 30 minutes or so. I also found a comfy arrangement of couch pillows that allowed me to elevate my head which really helped. Maybe I'll try sleeping there tonight!

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Afrin is your friend. It opens your nasal passages to a near-miraculous degree. Use it about 10 minutes before you go to bed, and it should last all night. Even if you only use it at night and only for two nights (to avoid getting addicted), it can help so, so much.

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    Afrin is your friend. It opens your nasal passages to a near-miraculous degree. Use it about 10 minutes before you go to bed, and it should last all night. Even if you only use it at night and only for two nights (to avoid getting addicted), it can help so, so much.
    I overused it for a cold in high school and it STILL creates a rebound effect almost instantly. I wish that stuff could work long term without that issue!

I actually used to get great relief from the Sudafed you get over the counter but I feel like I'm getting a rebound effect from that one too now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast