Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jenstring95 View Post
    I wonder if adults are choosing not to get the shot/s or if they are just not being offered the opportunity? I have never in my non-pregnant adult life been offered anything other than a flu or tetanus vaccine. I would happily get boosters.
    Yep, same here. I'm only asked if I've had a tetanus vax in the past 10 years. If you haven't had a baby in a hospital in the past 4 years and received the vax, you're probably susceptible. Also, whooping cough in adults and older kids/teens often presents as a cough that just doesn't go away, without the whoop at the end or other symptoms. Most people, vaxed or not, would probably never even think they had whooping cough, including most health practitioners. Like I said, when I asked for my boys to be tested they acted like no one had ever asked before and initially they used the wrong test kit.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Anyone getting or getting offered a tetanus vaccine should check you are probably getting the DTaP instead.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Yep, same here. I'm only asked if I've had a tetanus vax in the past 10 years. If you haven't had a baby in a hospital in the past 4 years and received the vax, you're probably susceptible. Also, whooping cough in adults and older kids/teens often presents as a cough that just doesn't go away, without the whoop at the end or other symptoms. Most people, vaxed or not, would probably never even think they had whooping cough, including most health practitioners. Like I said, when I asked for my boys to be tested they acted like no one had ever asked before and initially they used the wrong test kit.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    I suspect you’re right that most adults, especially past childbearing age, probably just don’t think about needing boosters of anything unless there’s some specific need, rather than being actively anti-vax. Over 10 years ago, I got a TDAP as part of the admissions process for my CCRC (because my previous immunization was the old DPT). But from then on, the every-10-year boosters will be TD, so no more pertussis vax.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It's a vaccine that requires regular boosters i.e getting the childhood vaccines may not adequately protect a teen directly exposed. How did someone get exposed in the first place, to bring it into school?

for Sandy Hook

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    It's a vaccine that requires regular boosters i.e getting the childhood vaccines may not adequately protect a teen directly exposed. How did someone get exposed in the first place, to bring it into school?
    Thats the question. I looked the school up. 1600 kids only 18 have medical exemptions. 30 kids at the school have pertussis the 18 with exemptions have not contracted it at this point. Another 20 are also documented in the area of having pertussis ALL are considered fully vaccinated. DTaP ( not really a booster its an additional vaccine) is/ was given at 12 to comply with the schedule
    Last edited by JBaxter; 03-21-2019 at 08:04 PM.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

There was a huge pertussis outbreak in 2010 when DD2 was born so I know I got a booster (don’t remember about DH), but both my parents did as well because of DD2 since they knew they would see her as an infant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    Thats the question. I looked the school up. 1600 kids only 18 have medical exemptions. 30 kids at the school have pertussis the 18 with exemptions have not contracted it at this point. Another 20 are also documented in the area of having pertussis ALL are considered fully vaccinated. DTaP ( not really a booster its an additional vaccine) is/ was given at 12 to comply with the schedule
    I think the definition of "fully vaccinated" might be the issue. According to the LA Times: "People who have had the vaccine can still get sick. The booster shot protects 70% of people from whooping cough in the first year after receiving it and 40% four years after receiving it, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

40% protection means 60% are not protected from pertussis. But: "The disease is milder in teens and adults, especially if they have been vaccinated." So while teens and adults might not experience severe symptoms, they can still expose babies and kids, with far more serious impacts.

for Sandy Hook

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3