Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Help w thyroid cancer

My husband had o nodule removed that they thought was fine and now 2 weeks later it has cells. They are now going to take the whole thyroid and give a medication for 7 days after.

I wasn’t at appointment so don’t understand why they need to take the thyroid. Where else could it spread. He has another nodule that tested benign.

What will the medication do? I don’t want anymore surprises. The doctor kept saying it wasn’t cancer.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

First hugs!!! I know this is scary! I had thyroid removed for what was a benign nodule, but I was told what would happen if it was malignant. They can’t tell for sure just by looking at a nodule, they have to send it to pathology, which is why you just found out. My Dr said it’s slow growing cancer and treatable. I have 2 friends who had treatment for thyroid cancer and several years later they’re fine.

They have to remove the entire thyroid to remove any cancerous cells. Then most likely he’ll have radioactive iodine (the medication for 7 days) to kill any remaining thyroid cells, just in case it’s spread beyond the thyroid. While he’s doing the radioactive iodine, he can’t be around anyone so that will take some juggling of schedules to make happen. You’ll have to ask what precautions are required depending on what his treatment will be. One friend organized for her family to be out of town so they weren’t with her in the house. Then he’ll have to take thyroid medication for rest of his life - this part is doable, he’ll just have to stay on top of taking a pill everyday and getting levels checked regularly.

You’ll get through this. I’d go with to his next appointment so you can ask questions and be prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 03-18-2019 at 05:04 PM.

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thank you. I have been to every appt even pre-surgery so was caught off guard by this. The doctor just kept saying he was 99 percent sure it was fine. The follow up was later due to doctor being on vacation.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I understand being caught off guard. I’m sorry he was in the low percent of people with thyroid nodules who have cancer.

I also understand DH not being the best reporter on medical issues. My DH has to be hounded to go to the dr and then has little info to report. It’s maddening!!

I don’t know if reading up on things helps you or if it’ll be too much. I’m a planner so I do like to read about things so I’m prepared! For other people, it’s too much information and doesn’t help. Or maybe ask around and see if you know of anyone who has had thyroid cancer. Sometimes real life experience helps.

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No advice, but I couldn’t read without posting good wishes And positive thoughts
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

So sorry to hear this BUT it's nowhere near as bad as you're feeling. My brother had thyroid cancer 30 years ago and other than more trouble regulating his ongoing meds than most, no other ill effects. (Maybe more now that I think about it - but I'm close.)

Be aware that DH may have to have radioactive iodine treatment. It sounds worse than it is - but may require varying levels of isolation for a bit. IF he has to have it, research to see when you're comfortable having him come home, sleep in same bed with you if you're planning to have more kids, be around your daughter if you have one, etc.

As a PP mentioned, he will have to be on meds the rest of his life. It can be hard to regulate - so if he's too sleepy/too hyper, make sure he lets his doctor know.

Best of luck -

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I second everything Nicci said.

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

When my thyroid was hyperactive a few years ago, I was counselled on the possibility of radioactive ablation. I told the doctor I would go to a hotel for the week. She said I could not do that, because everything I touched would have residue, like the room service silverware, the sheets etc. So definitely find out more details about that part, and whether you and your kids should be elsewhere for the treatment duration, or just need to take precautions.
    mom to Billy 12/07

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

OK, I'm confused and I know a lot about this. I don't think you have enough information to understand this or even start researching this. There are very clear guidelines for when they take or not take a whole thyroid out. So if they say that has to happen I would believe that. It does happen that they take a nodule out, it looks more boring than it is, it goes to pathology and 9-12 days later they are calling to get you back in. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's not rare. They do the complete surgery right away because there is no point having you heal all the way up and do it again, they can just reopen the incision. I would recommend going to surgery with your husband and making clear to the staff you don't really understand what is going on. Usually the surgeon will call YOU after the surgery because your husband will be zonked out. You can also go to the follow up appointment. If waiting until the thyroidectomy is too stressful, call the surgeon's office or the PCP. They may get a copy of stuff. Just say your husband is useless and you need information. THAT is not rare. Your husband will probably need to give you permission. IF he really doesn't want to deal with it you might need to give him some space until surgery to keep his head in the sand. My husband would SO be that way.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My recommendation, as someone who has been through cancer diagnosis and treatment with several family members including myself, is to go to all the Dr appointments as much as you can with DH. All the information can be confusing, and sometimes your mind just shuts down when they are talking. You really need two people there to retain all the information IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast