Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

That's fantastic news!

for Sandy Hook

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Woot woot!! So happy to hear this update. Truly a gifted therapist and you found the right match for your DD.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I’m so happy for all of you!! And I’m stealing the donut technique. It’s brilliant. Sounds like you found someone who will work really well for DD.

As a side note, you might want to pursue that 504 after all. They are being awesome right now but things can change quickly and the 504 gives you legal protection. You may decide you really don’t need it and that’s ok, but just at least think about it and talk to people in your area.
    THis was my thought. One change in staff/admin can really change how cooperative the school is. The 504 might just say exactly what the current team is doing but it makes it legally binding.

So glad she is seeing such great progress so soon!

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

As a former kid who had SM (in retrospect) and the mother of a kid who is heading down this path, I’m extremely interested in your experiences.

I think the classification of SM as an anxiety disorder is correct but I’m not sure I completely agree with the statement “people with SM want to speak but cannot because anxiety prevents them”. I could probably be very happy never speaking to people outside my comfort zone...but obviously that’s not compatible with my career or life or anything. (Though I do LOVE things like self checkout and those kiosks to order at Panera etc). But everyone is different.

I do hope you post updates as your DDs therapy progresses

I am so very happy she is getting help and that this seems like a great fit for her! I've only met one child with SM when I was in college and it made an impression me. I think it is very rare, but maybe becoming more well known.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I think the classification of SM as an anxiety disorder is correct but I’m not sure I completely agree with the statement “people with SM want to speak but cannot because anxiety prevents them”. I could probably be very happy never speaking to people outside my comfort zone...but obviously that’s not compatible with my career or life or anything. (Though I do LOVE things like self checkout and those kiosks to order at Panera etc). But everyone is different.
    I do not think of those with SM as wanting to speak, but rather they would choose to over the negative consequences of not speaking if they could. They just can't make that choice. If someone with SM were in an emergency situation, for example, they really might not be able to seek help from someone outside of their inner circle (yell for help, lost and go up to another mom they do not know) even though the result leaves them in the same bad situation.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by specialp View Post
    I am so very happy she is getting help and that this seems like a great fit for her! I've only met one child with SM when I was in college and it made an impression me. I think it is very rare, but maybe becoming more well known.

I do not think of those with SM as wanting to speak, but rather they would choose to over the negative consequences of not speaking if they could. They just can't make that choice. If someone with SM were in an emergency situation, for example, they really might not be able to seek help from someone outside of their inner circle (yell for help, lost and go up to another mom they do not know) even though the result leaves them in the same bad situation.
    Yes thank you for putting this into words, better said that I could have. And yes that is what worries me...in situations where she needs to ask a teacher for help, she is utterly helpless (and she knows it, which upsets her). But yeah in other cases she is fine not talking and just wishes other people would acknowledge and accept that she just doesn’t talk. After reading of stories of high school students having SM I was getting really worried for my dd. She is in 2nd grade and never has spoken to her teacher.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Great update for the beginning of some changes
    K

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3