Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default update on my DD & selective mutism

last year i posted about my DD (2nd grade) struggling with selective mutism (and to a certain extent, anxiety and OCD, etc). she has had a campus intervention team in place at her school in Kinder. there were multiple incidents with teachers at school (not her main teacher but others either in aftercare or during recess) scolding and threatening her for not speaking. This made her frustrated and more anxious -- the skin on her hands was peeling like crazy bc she was washing her hands so much. at some point she refused to eat with her hands at all, thinking she would get germs. This was a kid that would eat goldfish off the floor just one year before. DH & i were at a loss.

i followed ppl's advice to find a therapist. i found one recommended by a local FB group - a child psychologist that specialized in SM as well as OCD/anxiety. I think I contacted her in Nov and she had a 3 month waiting list but I figured it was worth it. My DH as usual was totally skeptical and pessimistic and kept saying DD was never going to talk to anyone.

Anyway, we had initial consultation, then finally after the wait list we had a mtg with just me & DH on the preparation for the first appt (there were specific things we had to do, things we had to practice) and now DH has taken DD to 2 appointments with the therapist. MY DD TALKED TO THE THERAPIST IN FIRST MEETING. my DH was completely flabbergasted - DD literally has only directly talked to maybe 10 people on this earth (and 3 of them are me, dh, ds). And i think the only adult other than family that she's talked to is her piano teacher, who she's known since she was 4 (and who comes to our house for lessons). 2nd appt (yesterday) went very well to the point that therapist got DD to even talk about her feelings! DH was super impressed (as was I, but i've always been a big believer in the power of therapy , unlike my DH).

i must say it is amazing to see what a difference an experienced, trained professional makes in talking to kids. SM is really poorly understood and i wish there was more awareness on it. People with SM want to speak but cannot because anxiety prevents them. Many adults don't get it and assume the kid is being rude or defiant and think they can bribe or threaten the kid to talk. I feel like this is specially prevalent here in TX , where kids not saying "please" or "thank you" have people think you're a rude ungrateful kid who needs to be set straight.

also, my DD"s OCD resolved in December - from our intitial consultation with the therapist she suggested putting DD to bed earlier so she could get more sleep which would help with the anxiety. she said that simply trying to put kids to bed earlier often doesn't work - she suggested on Sunday morning we tell kids if they wake up at 6:00am we will take them to do something fun, like go get donuts. then they will be excited to wake up early and that night they will be tired and will be able to fall asleep earlier. it totally worked. now every 2-3 weeks we go for donuts at 6am on Sundays and that night they fall asleep before 8pm which used to never happen before.

Anyway, i'm excited for DD's progress! in a month i have a meeting with campus intervention team to discuss her progress and see if any other accomodations are needed. i had asked earlier about a 504 and they said that this in place should function the same as a 504 as long as we remain in the district. i made a point to let the aftercare director know about it so that aftercare teachers werent bothering my DD about not speaking.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 03-20-2019 at 02:18 PM.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Great update!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Wow, what a turn-around! Glad to hear the therapist is helping so quickly.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

What good news! I’m a big fan of early intervention by well-trained professionals. (Too bad there aren’t nearly enough of these to go around!)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What great news and progress in so little time!!! Looks like things can only get better from here! I'm glad your DH is on board with the therapy as well.

After reading your previous posts I realized that there's a boy in DS2's 4th grade class that appears to have selective mutism as well. And at first, like others, I thought he was just being rude. I had never come across a child that just didn't talk, let alone a 10 year old. I know he's in speech therapy with my DS, but I have no idea if he's getting additional help outside of that.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What a Wonderful update! I’m a huge believer in therapy and interventions like this, and it’s so nice to hear that it’s Already made a difference.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

This is an awesome update! So glad you all are working with a great therapist!!!!
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m so happy for all of you!! And I’m stealing the donut technique. It’s brilliant. Sounds like you found someone who will work really well for DD.

As a side note, you might want to pursue that 504 after all. They are being awesome right now but things can change quickly and the 504 gives you legal protection. You may decide you really don’t need it and that’s ok, but just at least think about it and talk to people in your area.

I am so, so happy that your daughter's therapy is working, that's awesome news. There's a child around the corner from us with SM and she's in 3rd grade and still doesn't talk. Her parents haven't gotten her any outside help, although she gets services through the school. Like your DH, the DH doesn't believe in it.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    As a side note, you might want to pursue that 504 after all. They are being awesome right now but things can change quickly and the 504 gives you legal protection. You may decide you really don’t need it and that’s ok, but just at least think about it and talk to people in your area.
    I one hundred percent agree. It's amazing how things are "forgotten" or "we didn't think she needed it anymore." I've had this problem even with a 504.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for updating - so glad to hear she's doing better and you're seeing progress!!
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast