Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    My son's whole face was starting to swell. It was more than just hives. We walked into a very crowded urgent care and they had him back in a room and seeing a doctor within minutes before even checking us in. The front desk took one look at him, and he was immediately taken back. The fact that the reaction was worse the second time he had an antibiotic in that same family makes me terrified to see what would happen if he tried it a third time.

He didn't have any stomach issues. We always do culturelle when he is on antibiotics which maybe helps in that regard??
    I’m not suggesting your case isn’t real and serious. Just answering PPs question about why many drs are reluctant to believe cases are allergic reactions instead of “bad side effects”. I used my DSs epi-pen on him last time he had amoxicillin. I run into skeptical drs too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    I’m not suggesting your case isn’t real and serious. Just answering PPs question about why many drs are reluctant to believe cases are allergic reactions instead of “bad side effects”. I used my DSs epi-pen on him last time he had amoxicillin. I run into skeptical drs too.

I get what you meant. I'm one of those who has a bad reaction, but not an allergic reaction, to a specific drug. I've always been told to list it as an allergy and I do because it can be easily substituted and avoided, but I parenthetically list bad reaction and what it is. I mean, push comes to shove and I have to take it, I can. It's just very different from my sister who is allergic to various medications, has been hospitalized twice when the epi didn't help.

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Makes sense! Many years ago I was going through a series of knee surgeries. My doctor prescribed me oxycotinin. I took one, and I threw up constantly for over 12 hours. I’ve never been so sick in my life (and it was made worse because my leg was completely immobilized so I could not move.) I never took another one. I wouldn’t consider it an allergy, but I would never take another one of those pills again. I rather be in pain then be miserably sick!!

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Makes sense! Many years ago I was going through a series of knee surgeries. My doctor prescribed me oxycotinin. I took one, and I threw up constantly for over 12 hours. I’ve never been so sick in my life (and it was made worse because my leg was completely immobilized so I could not move.) I never took another one. I wouldn’t consider it an allergy, but I would never take another one of those pills again. I rather be in pain then be miserably sick!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3