twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Recs for an easy snow vacation?

Our schools have Good Friday and the monday after Easter weekend off (April 19-22)..I noticed that lots of ski resorts are extending ski season because of the amount of snow they've received and it crossed my mind that might be a good time to take a snow vacation - it's late enough to avoid most of the Spring Break season.

So, I'm looking for an easy vacay for kids and snow where we'd fly in Friday and fly out Monday. Any good recommendations? Skiing is not a requirement and in fact it might not even be something we want to do - DH would be the only person in our family interested in it - but we'd consider one afternoon of skiing (lessons for me and kids, DH could go ski by himself). As a family we would be interested in snow tubing/sledding and dogsledding! And potentially other snow activities but keeping in mind that DD2 has significant physical limitations with her hips and legs so any hiking-like activities would need to be short and easy.

Easy airport in/out would be good. Marriott family of hotels would be ideal so that we could utilize our member benefits.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would call the resorts themselves and see whether they offer what you are looking for. In Utah the biggest resort is at Snowbird but I'm not sure they offer tubing or sledding (Park City does but they will probably lose their snow by late April), call for sure. Colorado who seems to have gotten a ton of snow recently. I'm not sure with the time it takes to transfer from airport to ski resort (esp in Colorado) you'd have much time or not feel rushed. Plus having to pack and haul all that snow gear for 2 days is a lot/not exactly easy as your title stated.

I do remember skiing late in the year in Vermont up at JayPeak, they get a lot of snow and they have a newer development, maybe see what they have to offer. With it being late April, a week of warm weather can really change things and I'm not sure I'd gamble on that and be stuck with little to do if you can't ski or sled.

Not sure where you are flying from either, so if coming from the East Coast or West or middle may make a difference.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Vail and Breckenridge will be open then (Vail closes 4/21) and both have the other activities as well. They are about 2.5 hours from the Denver airport. There is an airport closer to Vail as well and there are Marriott properties there. Snowbird will also be open and is about an hour (maybe 1.5) from Salt Lake City airport. I would not want to pack and haul all that winter gear though for 2 days.

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Durango is getting another 24” as we speak! We love it there (Purgatory resort).

willow33 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Like a PP mentioned Jay Peak in Vermont usually gets snow later in the season. They are expected to get over 15" this weekend. Very family friendly resort with a big indoor waterpark right at the base of the mountain. But it should be mentioned that Jay is in the middle of nowhere so getting there is not necessarily easy.
    ~H~

Mom to 3 sweet kids
    2003 ~ 2005 ~ 2009

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by willow33 View Post
    Like a PP mentioned Jay Peak in Vermont usually gets snow later in the season. They are expected to get over 15" this weekend. Very family friendly resort with a big indoor waterpark right at the base of the mountain. But it should be mentioned that Jay is in the middle of nowhere so getting there is not necessarily easy.
    You can fly into Burlington and drive up, but yes not easy unless you're driving.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    Vail and Breckenridge will be open then (Vail closes 4/21) and both have the other activities as well. They are about 2.5 hours from the Denver airport. There is an airport closer to Vail as well and there are Marriott properties there. Snowbird will also be open and is about an hour (maybe 1.5) from Salt Lake City airport. I would not want to pack and haul all that winter gear though for 2 days.
    For Vail, you can fly into Avon. I think you are in Dallas (?). Cheap and easy flight from there. I would pull the kids from an extra day of school and spend one more day.