Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Tell me about your air fryer

I did a search and it seems the last post about this was in August. Some people were thinking about getting one for Christmas so maybe there's some new feedback.

I'm looking for one that's not crazy expensive (under $100). I actually bought a Ninja version on sale at Target a couple of weeks ago. We went to a party last month where someone cooked wings in their Ninja pressure cooker/air fryer. I thought they were pretty good, hence my purchase. I'm a little concerned though because the version that is just an air fryer is 4 quarts, which sounds maybe a little small? We're a family of three, but with DH's appetite, we're more like a family of four.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a specific brand that you like that's not crazy expensive?
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

One of our grocery store chains has a "school of cooking' and has a variety of cooking classes. I noticed in a recent course listing that they had several classes (at various stores) on how to use an air fryer. We don't eat a lot of fried foods, but I have been curious about air fryers. I may take the class so I can get hands on experience to see if I would like using it to cook and if my family would enjoy the food.

If you have any cooking schools -- you might want to check them out. I live in a medium size midwest metropolitan area --- we have at least four vendors for amateur cooking classes.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have the Philips which was $169 I believe... watched it for a while on Camel Camel Camel and waited for that lowest price. I can’t speak for other brands but there is one at Costco so I would try that since you can return. I love mine for a variety of things. Definitely get the largest you can. I use it for everything at TJ’s that is frozen that you would normally put in oven. Also veggies and shrimp are great in it.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have the Philips which was $169 I believe... watched it for a while on Camel Camel Camel and waited for that lowest price. I can’t speak for other brands but there is one at Costco so I would try that since you can return. I love mine for a variety of things. Definitely get the largest you can. I use it for everything at TJ’s that is frozen that you would normally put in oven. Also veggies and shrimp are great in it.

emily is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have the Gourmia 6qt. Bought it on Costco. I wasn’t sold that we needed one and figured I could always return it if I didn’t like it. I think I got it on sale for about $60. We’re a family of 5 and 6 qt was the largest I could find esp at that price. Can I just say, I love this thing! We use it at at least twice a week. It’s far less intimidating than I thought. Very user friendly. I love that you can just open it up and check on the food.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We are a family of 4 and have this family size: https://www.amazon.com/Chefman-5-5-L...web_3122618011.

I don't see it as a fryer as much as a roaster. We use it for veggies, fries, nuggets, fish sticks, chicken wings. Even the family size is a relatively small basket and for many foods you need a thin layer. So for wings, for example, we ended up doing it in about 3-4 batches of 6-8 wings and it takes about 30mins per batch, so it's not a quick meal that way (it was fine for the super bowl when there's lots of food and you can put out small batches at a time).

We've talked about getting a rack for it so that you can get two layers of food.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We are a family of 4 and have this family size: https://www.amazon.com/Chefman-5-5-L...web_3122618011.

I don't see it as a fryer as much as a roaster. We use it for veggies, fries, nuggets, fish sticks, chicken wings. Even the family size is a relatively small basket and for many foods you need a thin layer. So for wings, for example, we ended up doing it in about 3-4 batches of 6-8 wings and it takes about 30mins per batch, so it's not a quick meal that way (it was fine for the super bowl when there's lots of food and you can put out small batches at a time).

We've talked about getting a rack for it so that you can get two layers of food.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Thanks everyone! We went to Costco a couple days after I bought the ninja from target. I had every intention of looking at the air fryers and it completely slipped my mind. I’ll try to go back this weekend. That price is right, and I definitely think this 4-quart is just too small for a family. I wonder if it comes with a rack. Sounds like that would be super handy.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by emily View Post
    We have the Gourmia 6qt. Bought it on Costco. I wasn’t sold that we needed one and figured I could always return it if I didn’t like it. I think I got it on sale for about $60. We’re a family of 5 and 6 qt was the largest I could find esp at that price. Can I just say, I love this thing! We use it at at least twice a week. It’s far less intimidating than I thought. Very user friendly. I love that you can just open it up and check on the food.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I know this thread is older, but had to post my delight with the 6 quart Gourmia Digital Air Fryer from Costco. Bought it today (too bad I didn't buy it when it was on sale last month at Costco!) and tested out frozen fries, mozzarella sticks, and lumpia (a version of an egg roll) in it. It worked wonderfully! Everything came out crispy and good. All we did was spray a little olive oil onto the items before air-frying. Which isn't necessary, but can be done for some added crispness. Hope this small appliance lasts! It was $79.99 in store at Costco. I believe it was only $49.99 or so last month!

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have the 6qt Instant Vortex 4-in-1 air fryer on my wish list right now. We've had the smaller original Phillips air fryer for a few years now, which we use almost daily, but I want something bigger.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Vorte...8-3&th=1&psc=1

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast