Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I misread your post too! My DH and son hate the liners. Get all bunched up and soggy and chafe and get filled with sand. Only board shorts around here. Or we cut the liners out if they come with.
    DD
    DS

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elektra View Post
    I misread your post too! My DH and son hate the liners. Get all bunched up and soggy and chafe and get filled with sand. Only board shorts around here. Or we cut the liners out if they come with.
    Do they wear them with unders or just the short?
    K

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I don't have a dog in this fight, but white cotton Hanes sound dreadful, but I can see sport material / sport fit underwear being ok. Maybe try those with the board shorts if they otherwise fit the bill.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think the difference is generally

Board shorts- no liner, Velcro and/or snap opening where the zipper would be on pants
    Trunks- liner, elastic waist with drawstring

My DS doesn’t seem to mind being without a liner but he prefers an elastic waist so we usually cut the liners out of trunks. I don’t have male genitalia so I don’t know what either option feels like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    I always thought board shorts meant there is no liner. That's what makes them different from swim trunks. Swim trunks do have liners. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's always how I've understood the differences between swim trunks and board shorts.
    Same.

BTW, I had never heard of underwear under bathing suits until a couple of years ago on this board.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Same.

BTW, I had never heard of underwear under bathing suits until a couple of years ago on this board.
    Umm ... must have missed that discussion! Wouldn't it be really uncomfortable wearing wet underwear?
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Same.

I think my cousin in Ohio did this. But yeah, nobody else I know wears actual underwear under swimwear. They are a sandtrap!
    DD
    DS

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The style for older boys at our swim club last year was board shorts with underwear. I know because you could always see the underwear at the waistline. DH has both trunks with liners and board shorts and does not wear underwear with either.

We were at the beach with an adult friend and he wore board shorts with underwear but then wrapped a towel around to take off the wet underwear after he swam.

Thankfully DS is still okay with swim trunks with liners. All I can think of with kids who wear underwear is then there are 2 pieces of clothing that do not get hung up to dry and end up in wet piles on the floor and twice as much underwear to wash.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I could see putting a speedo or jammers under but actual underwear makes zero sense to me. And the only reason I could see my crew wearing swim team style suits under is to keep sand out when at the beach. I think their suits all have liners though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS is 13, I just asked him why did he start wearing underwear (he wears the thinner dri fit style from Walmart under his swim trunks), he said so he doesn't chafe., His trunks have a liner but it's not tight/supportive. I have noticed around here and when on vacation that boys around age 10 or 12 start wearing their underwear under their trunks. It's a pain, but I make sure he wears the thin ones not his cotton ones as they take forever to dry. I don't consider it redneck, as I've been seeing it "non-redneck" places, for whatever that's worth.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast