Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I was excited when I saw the title of this thread ... but it’s apparently only about Birk sandals . For shoes, I’ve worn nothing but Birks for decades but sadly I haven’t found any recent ones that measure up. I’ve had tie shoes, Mary Janes, slipons, tennis shoes, etc., that had that good Birk footbed and supportive uppers (I.e., leather that’s not super soft).

My only recent purchase was the Arran style, but they’ve been a great disappointment. The canvas uppers are floppier than old-time Keds, and the footbed doesn’t seem to have anything like the arch etc support I’m used to.

Before I get banished to the BP, any suggestions re: available styles that would be worth a look? Or (gasp!) any other brands that offer similar footbed/arch support?

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I love the Yao in white! My friend was wearing them at school pick up today.

Thanks for the blog.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    I was excited when I saw the title of this thread ... but it’s apparently only about Birk sandals . For shoes, I’ve worn nothing but Birks for decades but sadly I haven’t found any recent ones that measure up. I’ve had tie shoes, Mary Janes, slipons, tennis shoes, etc., that had that good Birk footbed and supportive uppers (I.e., leather that’s not super soft).

My only recent purchase was the Arran style, but they’ve been a great disappointment. The canvas uppers are floppier than old-time Keds, and the footbed doesn’t seem to have anything like the arch etc support I’m used to.

Before I get banished to the BP, any suggestions re: available styles that would be worth a look? Or (gasp!) any other brands that offer similar footbed/arch support?

Which Birks shoes do you like, NCGrandma? I get to wear sandals so infrequently where I live but would love reccs for closed shoe Birks that offer the same support!

for Sandy Hook

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Which Birks shoes do you like, NCGrandma? I get to wear sandals so infrequently where I live but would love reccs for closed shoe Birks that offer the same support!
    Here are a few of my favorites — they’re all Birkenstock Footprints, which used to be Birk's shoe line but that is being phased out so they’re now all just called Birks. (Yeah, some of these are still listed on Amazon, but generally in really small/narrow sizes — sadly I wear size 42, regular width):

https://www.amazon.com/Footprints-Bi...-fkmrnull&th=1 — the suede on the ones I have looks less scruffy!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F68KIP8...07C475XYL?th=1 — I’ve had these in several colors, in suede and smooth leather.

https://www.birkenstockexpress.com/F...fm/prod5.AB929 — these are great, super comfy, many good colors, but note the dreaded tag "discontinued"

Have you checked out Danskos? If I didn’t deal with ice and snow, I would wear Dansko ankle boots all winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Have you checked out Danskos? If I didn’t deal with ice and snow, I would wear Dansko ankle boots all winter.

The last time I looked at Danskos (years ago), the ONLY style they made was their traditional clog, which weren’t flat enough for me. I just looked again, and they’ve clearly branched out,including some tennis shoes that look very interesting. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    The last time I looked at Danskos (years ago), the ONLY style they made was their traditional clog, which weren’t flat enough for me. I just looked again, and they’ve clearly branched out,including some tennis shoes that look very interesting. Thanks for the suggestion!

Those were the ones I was thinking about for you. I wear birk sandals on weekends and dansko sandals or flats to work.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have several Danskos and they have destroyed my ankles. I'm an 8.5 and my feet slide so much in their boots and sandals that it has led cumulative wear on my ankles. I once full on twisted my ankle while traveling in London in my beloved Dansko boots just because of foot sliding in shoe! And I was fitted for them. I have vowed no more Danskos ever again. Ahnu sandals fit me best but Teva has now bought them over so not sure what will happen to the brand.

for Sandy Hook

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What birks are you getting this year?

I just ordered the tan big buckle Madrids and they aren’t comfortable for me at all! This has never happened. They hurt across the band.

I love the new metallics.

If you like the Birkenstocks you have, why buy a new pair? My husband has worn the same pair since he was a teenager, just getting the straps and the footpad replaced as necessary. IT's one reason I recently got Birkenstocks of my own, because they support them so well.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by vonfirmath View Post
    If you like the Birkenstocks you have, why buy a new pair? My husband has worn the same pair since he was a teenager, just getting the straps and the footpad replaced as necessary. IT's one reason I recently got Birkenstocks of my own, because they support them so well.
    I did this last spring because they no longer made the Birkenstock Granada in the metallic blue that I have. It costs about $85 and I feel like I got a whole new shoe.

My dad has had his Arizona’s resoled at least twice in the 20 years or so he has had them.

I gave away my black suede Arizona’s about 8-10 years ago when Birkenstock’s were no longer cool, but I very easily could’ve had them resoled had I kept them....they were 15 years old or so when I gave them away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast