Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: NYC itinerary

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jawilli4 View Post
    Thought of two more things...

Dylan's Candy Bar is a fun and memorable place to go if you are okay with loading your kids up with sugar.

https://www.dylanscandybar.com/Store-Locator/

Also, we are a bunch of nerds so YMMV, but we loved That Physics Show! We watched That Chemistry Show! when they were workshopping it. I liked it but there was a lot of overlap of material with the physics one while they were working things out. I imagine either show would be awesome now that they have the kinks out.

https://www.goldstar.com/events/new-...s-show-tickets

https://www.goldstar.com/events/new-...show-tickets-1
    Thank you. I added Dylan's Candy Bar to the list. DD will love it, I'm sure. I'll ask them about the show. It looks like something they would enjoy.
    Kris

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Dylan's has a restaurant too with crazy desserts. Reservations are needed.

Definitely keep the 5th day. There are plenty of things to do and it may be nice to have an open day so you can adjust your schedule based on weather. You can spend at least a half day just exploring Central Park. Things like the Roosevelt Island Tram or renting bikes in Central Park are good add-ons. Another favorite of ours to add on your Wall St. day is the Seaglass Carousel http://www.seaglasscarousel.nyc/
    Also, do I remember correctly that you have math/science kids? If so, the Museum of Mathematics is really cool and it's free admission (along with the Intrepid) with any ASTC museum membership.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    Definitely keep the 5th day. There are plenty of things to do and it may be nice to have an open day so you can adjust your schedule based on weather. You can spend at least a half day just exploring Central Park. Things like the Roosevelt Island Tram or renting bikes in Central Park are good add-ons. Another favorite of ours to add on your Wall St. day is the Seaglass Carousel http://www.seaglasscarousel.nyc/
    Also, do I remember correctly that you have math/science kids? If so, the Museum of Mathematics is really cool and it's free admission (along with the Intrepid) with any ASTC museum membership.
    Yes, mathy kids . I looked at that and I put it on the "if time" list. The Henry Ford here has a math exhibit and they've all gone to that 1-2 times and enjoyed it. So, probably not such a needed thing to go to another museum about math, unless we just have the time.

I made reservations for a Thursday in Jersey City, Statue of Liberty Friday, and then TRYP for Friday thru Tuesday. So we'll have 3 days there to do things.

I bought tickets for the 11am for Statue of Liberty with Pedestal access. No crown spots, unfortunately. What other things do I need tickets to before we leave?

We will keep Day 5 for sure. Now I'm wondering if I need a day 6 . I had thought of going to Philadelphia for a day and maybe Gettysburg on the way home. I'm not sure we'll really want to stop and see more things though. So I could add 1 more day in NY if we skip those things and do them another trip.
    Kris

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You need NBC studio tour tickets. I forgot about it and I had to make do with the only available slot- which isn't super awesome for our itinerary.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Was he glad he went?
    He said it was okay, and that he enjoyed some parts of it. Having his phone and lots of benches helped too!
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Yes, mathy kids . I looked at that and I put it on the "if time" list. The Henry Ford here has a math exhibit and they've all gone to that 1-2 times and enjoyed it. So, probably not such a needed thing to go to another museum about math, unless we just have the time.

I made reservations for a Thursday in Jersey City, Statue of Liberty Friday, and then TRYP for Friday thru Tuesday. So we'll have 3 days there to do things.

I bought tickets for the 11am for Statue of Liberty with Pedestal access. No crown spots, unfortunately. What other things do I need tickets to before we leave?

We will keep Day 5 for sure. Now I'm wondering if I need a day 6 . I had thought of going to Philadelphia for a day and maybe Gettysburg on the way home. I'm not sure we'll really want to stop and see more things though. So I could add 1 more day in NY if we skip those things and do them another trip.
    We've been to the Museum of Math. The kids did enjoy it but it was very crowded when we went (it was over April break and I think NYC schools had the same week off too.) and the museum is not very big. There's a lot of interactive displays which meant longer waits for a turn.

If you have the chance to come out east again, I would save Philly and Gettysburg for another trip.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Default NYC itinerary

I would skip top of the rock but the studio tour is good. I would do a tour of the United Nations. All three of mine loved it and our then 8 year old was fully involved and knows quite a bit of history and political stuff. But it was definitely worth it especially if you have kids who are interested in world events or geekier.
    We also did a walking tour of Hamilton historical places that started out at the mansion where GW was staying during part of the Revolutionary War and where LMM used an office when writing Hamilton. My kids are history fans and Harlem is reborn so it was a nice walk and interesting. We had the guy who was doing Hamilton tours before “Hamilton” was a play or a thing, so he was totally passionate and interesting guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HannaAddict; 04-08-2019 at 05:26 PM.

The Tenement Museum is really fascinating too. Find a story to follow and kids were engrossed in that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    We also did a walking tour of Hamilton historical places that started out at the mansion where GW was staying during part of the Revolutionary War and where LMM used an office when writing Hamilton. My kids are history fans and Harlem is reborn so it was a nice walk and interesting. We had the guy who was doing Hamilton tours before “Hamilton” was a play or a thing, so he was totally passionate and interesting guy.
    There's lots of Hamilton stuff to see downtown too - Trinity Church (where Alexander, Eliza, Angelica and Hercules Mulligan are all buried) was fascinating for my Hamilton obsessed kids.
    We also loved The Grange (uptown) and finding a giant Hamilton statue in Central Park behind The Met

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast