Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: NYC itinerary

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    I would skip top of the rock but the studio tour is good. I would do a tour of the United Nations. All three of mine loved it and our then 8 year old was fully involved and knows quite a bit of history and political stuff. But it was definitely worth it especially if you have kids who are interested in world events or geekier.
    We also did a walking tour of Hamilton historical places that started out at the mansion where GW was staying during part of the Revolutionary War and where LMM used an office when writing Hamilton. My kids are history fans and Harlem is reborn so it was a nice walk and interesting. We had the guy who was doing Hamilton tours before “Hamilton” was a play or a thing, so he was totally passionate and interesting guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Tenement Museum is really fascinating too. Find a story to follow and kids were engrossed in that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I just realized the UN has tours and was looking for reviews. DS1 was on Model UN this year and I thought he might enjoy it for sure. I'll see if it fits in.

I also came across the Tenement Museum and thought the tours sound really interesting. Trying to figure out where to put that one, too.

So much to see!

At this point, I think we'll just do NYC and not anything else. Maybe I'll just plan on storing our luggage on our last day and staying until dinner time at the latest and then leaving and driving until hotels are cheaper I don't want to return to NYC with the kids soon, as there are a lot of other places we want to see still. So getting another day might just make the most sense. I looked into adding a night to the hotel, but the room level is booked, so adding the night increased the total by $1100!
    Kris

bnme is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just want to add that the 9/11 museum has head set tours that are very good. They even have ones for kids. I did not bring my kids because I wasn’t sure how it would be, but I think the way they present it is a great way for kids to learn about it. They could not have done a better job with the overall experience. I’d say 6th grade and up, depending on the kid.

Thought of another two places you might want to consider visiting...

Astro Gallery of Gems is amazing as long as you don't have little grabby kids. It looks like you are in a museum but the $100,000 fossil, meteorite, whatever massive specimen you see is actually for sale. It is a really cool place to look around and they do have more reasonably priced items, too.

https://astrogallery.com

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowEnoECAwQBg

Also, if you are a coffee drinker, I am in love with Cafe Grumpy. When DH lived in Brooklyn, we just got whatever coffee they were serving for the day and a cheddar chive biscuit. I have no idea how, but it always tasted like there were jalapeños in it when we had it with the coffee. I very much miss their coffee and can't wait to have more. They have stores in Manhattan so if you happen to be passing by and need a fix, you should definitely go for it. Just look for the Grumpy face sign...

https://cafegrumpy.com

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    ... Take the NJ Path to Penn Station and walk to TRYP Times Square South. It looks pretty walkable, even with luggage.

Unless it's changed a great deal, the PATH stops at Mall of Manhattan, not NY-Penn, though it's 6 one/half-a-dozen the other if you're walking anyway, but I'd recommend taking the A-C-E uptown one stop from 34th Street/Penn Station to 42nd St/Times Square rather than planning to walk because (1) it's a long, gradual uphill and (2) depending on the day of the week/time of day, the sidewalks can be super-crowded around Madison Square Garden, so negotiating them with luggage might be more than you'll want to deal with.

Oh, and June can be hot & humid, so I'd prefer the subway to walking anyway. (And I walk everywhere.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We also did a walking tour of Hamilton historical places that started out at the mansion where GW was staying during part of the Revolutionary War and where LMM used an office when writing Hamilton. ...
    Ooh, the Morris-Jumel House has been on my list since I was a 10-year-old ghost hunter (it's allegedly haunted.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Unless it's changed a great deal, the PATH stops at Mall of Manhattan, not NY-Penn, though it's 6 one/half-a-dozen the other if you're walking anyway, but I'd recommend taking the A-C-E uptown one stop from 34th Street/Penn Station to 42nd St/Times Square rather than planning to walk because (1) it's a long, gradual uphill and (2) depending on the day of the week/time of day, the sidewalks can be super-crowded around Madison Square Garden, so negotiating them with luggage might be more than you'll want to deal with.

You are definitely right. I'm not sure what I looked at other than too many maps!

The hotel is on w. 35th Street, which looks much closer to the Manhatten mall than 42nd Street. It's between 8th and 9th Ave. Am I reading the location you mean wrong?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KrisM; 04-13-2019 at 09:31 PM.
    Kris

I’d add a Broadway show, you can go to the same day ticket booth and get half price tickets. Or try to get tickets for one of the tv shows that films live in nyc. And don’t forget the high line. But mostly I would just leave lots of time for exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    I’d add a Broadway show, you can go to the same day ticket booth and get half price tickets. Or try to get tickets for one of the tv shows that films live in nyc. And don’t forget the high line. But mostly I would just leave lots of time for exploring.
    I'll look at that. I'm not sure what we'd see for a show and even half price is pretty pricey.
    Kris

I'll look at that. I'm not sure what we'd see for a show and even half price is pretty pricey.
    A lot of shows have last minute “rush tickets” which are often quite reasonably priced (http://www.playbill.com/article/broa...ies-com-116003)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

When my mom and I went we planned 2 shows ahead of time and then ended up staying an extra day so we bought some cheap last minute tickets to whatever was available and cheap and it ended up being our favorite!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast