Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: NYC itinerary

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ncat View Post
    Stairs aren't my favourite, but those are stunning! Might have to add them to my June trip!
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Neatfreak View Post
    Stairs aren't my favourite, but those are stunning! Might have to add them to my June trip!
    Same here! Looks pretty interesting. I'll see if I can get tickets.
    Kris

Hotel question.

I have reservations at TRYP Times Square South, which is on 35th st. between 8th and 9th ave. The room is 2 queen and a sofa bed and is 324 sq ft, so small.

I've been looking again and there is a Courtyard by Marriott Midtown/East on 3rd ave at 53rd St. The room is 2 queens and a sofa bed, but is 410 sq ft.

I go by our hotel last summer at the Dolphin at Disney, which was just big enough, really. It was 360 sq ft. We had 2 queens and a rollaway and with the rollaway down, it was tight feeling. So I'm worried about 324 sq ft. I know we aren't there a ton, but just moving around in the mornings can be hard with 5 of us, now that 4 of us are adult sized.

The Courtyard is a little more expensive ($200 total). I thought the location of the TRYP was nice because a fair amount is walkable from there. The Courtyard looks like more things would require a subway ride and I'm totally overwhelmed trying to figure out the subway maps to figure out how to get to various places. I'll get that, but right now I don't have a good understanding of it.

So, should I change to the Courtyard?
    Last edited by KrisM; 04-19-2019 at 08:55 AM. Reason: hotel price
    Kris

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’d absolutely choose the Courtyard. I really prefer that location. We always stay near Rockefeller Center. I like that it’s more residential. There’s enough to walk to, imo, and using the subway is always my go-to anyway. This upcoming trip we are actually staying over on the Upper West Side at Arthouse but also considered Hotel Beacon. Both have good sized rooms and bed configurations.
    The area around the TRYP is very unappealing to me. My goal is to get away from it quickly when we get off of the train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and for the subway? Just use google maps and plug in public transportation as your mode of travel. It’ll walk you through exactly what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Oh and for the subway? Just use google maps and plug in public transportation as your mode of travel. It’ll walk you through exactly what to do.

I didn't realize I could do that! That should help.

Do you ever stay in New Jersey? There is a Courtyard in Newport that would save us $600 or so, but it's obviously more time on transportation.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I didn't realize I could do that! That should help.

Do you ever stay in New Jersey? There is a Courtyard in Newport that would save us $600 or so, but it's obviously more time on transportation.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    No. I considered it but being in the city is my goal. I know in practice it probably takes no more time to get to my hotel from most given points whether I stay in Jersey or Manhattan but I want the ability to easily get back to my room if I need new shoes, an umbrella, a change of clothes (I always go in spring when temps are temperamental!), charge my phone, rest my feet, use my bathroom... There's just a psychological barrier to having to cross a river to get back to our hotel. And at night it's nice to have things to walk to. We do all of our sightseeing then want to chill but still be in the heart of things.

I have been working on this and trying to not zig zag around too much. I only have tickets to Statue of Liberty so far, and I'm going to change them from 11 to 8am. Here's what we have now. I moved the hotel to Courtyard at 52nd St and 3rd Ave. I tried to not have more than 1 reservation per day so it's not as rushed feeling. And I tried to leave some open times, usually at night. I'm still debating on seeing a show and maybe we'll just try to do a last minute one there.

Thoughts or comments?

Thursday – arrive at hotel in Jersey City about dinner time. Relax.

Friday – breakfast at the hotel
    - walk/ferry to Liberty State Park (8am pedestal tickets)- Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island.
    - ferry to Battery Park
    - Charging Bull, Fearless Girl, Trinity Church, 9/11 Memorial, One World Trade Center
    - ferry from World Financial Center to Warren St. NJ
    - Return to car for luggage
    - Take PATH and subway to hotel in Midtown

Saturday – Rockefeller Center with NBC Studio tour at 9:40am (Nintendo NY, Radio City Music Hall),
    - lunch
    - walk past LOVE sculpture, Central Park for the afternoon (Columbus Circle, Balto, The Mall, Alice, Strawberry Fields, Dakota, Belvedere, Obelisk)
    - dinner
    - The Met (open until 9pm).

Sunday – Up early for Empire State Building at 8am
    - ? something here - breakfast?
    - subway to Tenement Museum. Hard Times tour at 11am (1 hour tour, plus museum)
    - lunch
    - subway to Museum of Moving Image (open until 6pm)
    - dinner
    - after dinner see Times Square and maybe TOTR?

Monday – leave hotel about 9:30
    - subway to Hudson Yards (The Vessel (shoot for 10am tickets), High Line)
    - lunch
    - subway to Brooklyn, Brooklyn (Promenade, Brooklyn Bridge Park, DUMBO)
    - dinner
    - walk Brooklyn Bridge
    - subway to Dylan’s Candy Bar on 3rd ave.
    -walk back to hotel

Tuesday – check out by 9:30am or so and store luggage
    - UN Tour at 11am
    -walk past Chrysler building, Grand Central Station and have lunch.
    -If we want to stay a bit, Roosevelt Tram
    - leave Manhattan by 4pm at very latest.
    - return to car in NJ, drive home or to a cheaper place to stay the night.
    Kris

For lunch on Sunday, I would suggest dim sum since you'll be near Chinatown. Another option would be Katz's Deli. Either one would be quintessential NYC.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post

Friday – breakfast at the hotel
    - walk/ferry to Liberty State Park (8am pedestal tickets)- Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island.
    - ferry to Battery Park
    - Charging Bull, Fearless Girl, Trinity Church, 9/11 Memorial, One World Trade Center
    - ferry from World Financial Center to Warren St. NJ
    - Return to car for luggage
    - Take PATH and subway to hotel in Midtown
    There's a Sarabeth's not too far from here (Sarabeth's Tribeca) with lots of good delicious food options.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast