Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: NYC itinerary

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I love the Met Friday/Saturday late nights - and the Rock and Roll exhibit is open now, so I would make it a point to see it if you have any interest whatsoever in those kinds of artifacts. (I'm actually pretty interested in the "Camp: Notes on Fashion" - i.e. the root word of "campy" not a place you go for the summer - exhibit at the Costume Institute, which is downstairs from the Egyptian galleries, so may be heading up there soon.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I love the Met Friday/Saturday late nights - and the Rock and Roll exhibit is open now, so I would make it a point to see it if you have any interest whatsoever in those kinds of artifacts. (I'm actually pretty interested in the "Camp: Notes on Fashion" - i.e. the root word of "campy" not a place you go for the summer - exhibit at the Costume Institute, which is downstairs from the Egyptian galleries, so may be heading up there soon.)
    Yes, the Rock and Roll exhibit is definitely on my list. DH and DD will enjoy that one a lot!
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Yes, the Rock and Roll exhibit is definitely on my list. DH and DD will enjoy that one a lot!
    My DH is interested in it, too. The biggest thing that bums me out about the new management is the change in the admission policy - it used to be a "suggested donation" at the door to get in, which meant you could pay as little as $1 and get in. (They've now restricted that to people with NY state or NY/NJ/CT student IDs.)

HOWEVER, remind your DC to bring their student IDs - student admission is $12, so if they are over 12, this will save you $13 per ticket over "Adult" admission!
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    My DH is interested in it, too. The biggest thing that bums me out about the new management is the change in the admission policy - it used to be a "suggested donation" at the door to get in, which meant you could pay as little as $1 and get in. (They've now restricted that to people with NY state or NY/NJ/CT student IDs.)

HOWEVER, remind your DC to bring their student IDs - student admission is $12, so if they are over 12, this will save you $13 per ticket over "Adult" admission!
    I saw that student price. Much better! DS2 will still be free, which is good. Overall, I'm a bit bummed on the timing of the trip because DD will have turned 13 just weeks before and that's turning into a pricey birthday!
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I saw that student price. Much better! DS2 will still be free, which is good. Overall, I'm a bit bummed on the timing of the trip because DD will have turned 13 just weeks before and that's turning into a pricey birthday!
    Anything you can do to save a couple dollars is going to add up to better souvenirs!
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default NYC itinerary

On Monday, you should change things up and do the Vessel then walk the High Line a mile to the Chelsea Market and get lunch there.
    Also, there are Dylan’s all over. I would see if there are any where you’ll already be vs going out of your way for it. Truly though, it’s a nothing special, overpriced tourist trap, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

KrisM have you looked into the Explorer or City Passes? My DH was looking at them yesterday and it looks like we could save some money, but the reviews on travel forums are mixed.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Not Kris but I looked and didn't do them. I think that for places like Rockefeller Center you can't book ahead of time and that would not work for me. Things sell out and I don't want to be stuck. Do check if you are museum members if there is any reciprocity. eta- looks like I might be wrong about the TOTR advanced booking. I swear I saw that on the Trip Advisor forums. Don't mind me.

We did buy a City Pass in Seattle though and it worked out. I would just make sure you WANT to go to the places included vs going to them because they were included. That's not a deal, imo. There are so many things to do in NYC that you'd have to really want to do lots of museums vs exploring to make the pass worthwhile. Sometimes just wandering through neighborhoods and sampling foods is all folks want to do, others want to do lots of museums.

I looked into the passes, but decided if feel like if have to check all those places off, whether or not we wanted to do them. It sounded too structured and less flexible for changing things on the fly.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Kris

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6