wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Do you track macros?

I just started using myfitnesspal again and see that I can change the default carb/protein/fat amounts either by grams or percentage of calories. Did you change these and if so what guideline do you follow?

I’m GF so I tend to be slightly lower carb but def not low carb or paleo compliant. I did a bunch of reading and amended mine to 45% protein but I can’t hit that amount without going way over the fat % and actually just have a hard time eating that much protein in general. My calories are set to 1200 plus any additional exercise calories I earn. I adjusted it down to 35% protein and today I’m still 60gm too few on protein intake and that’s after having a 30g premier protein shake.

I welcome your advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No real advice except I’ve been using that feature on MFP lately and I like it. I am trying for around 40% carbs which is not at all what true low carb looks like. I’m just trying to pare it down, little by little. I am also aiming for around 1200 calories. I do like adding an avocado to my meals that are too carby. That’s an easy one for me because my avocado tree is finally producing!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My carbs are usually 30% (as low at 25% and high of 32%). I eat eggs (and egg salad), hummus, almonds, protein drink, rolled lunch meat (organic and no salt), tuna, avocado/guac, larabars, cheese, cottage cheese, and 4% fat greek yogurt, oh and peanut butter. Plus a dinner protein which is usually meat/fish of some sort...chicken breast, steak, venison, salmon. But all of those things add fat (yes mostly healthy fat) and so trying to increase protein just increases fat intake above the % recommended (even when that % is adjusted up for a high protein diet).
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    My carbs are usually 30% (as low at 25% and high of 32%). I eat eggs (and egg salad), hummus, almonds, protein drink, rolled lunch meat (organic and no salt), tuna, avocado/guac, larabars, cheese, cottage cheese, and 4% fat greek yogurt, oh and peanut butter. Plus a dinner protein which is usually meat/fish of some sort...chicken breast, steak, venison, salmon. But all of those things add fat (yes mostly healthy fat) and so trying to increase protein just increases fat intake above the % recommended (even when that % is adjusted up for a high protein diet).
    I didn’t realize there was a recommended percentage for fat! I appreciate you sharing your diet. That gives me some ideas. I’ve been trying to get equal amounts of fat l, protein and carbs but maybe I shouldn’t?. I’ve been noticing my fat is low and adding avocados, lol! My protein sources are the premier protein shake, grilled chicken, but I buy the nonfat Greek yogurt. I honestly prefer the flavor of the fat version but the nonfat is cheaper.

ETA: I like it when my macros look like a Mercedes symbol. This is based somewhat on what I’ve read (there’s so much conflicting info out there!) and somewhat based on what feels good to me.
    Last edited by bisous; 04-10-2019 at 10:25 AM.

I track macros because I do Keto. The max carbs I eat is 20 net grams/day.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

i use mfp and use:
    40% carbs
    30% fat
    30% protein
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07