almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default tick prevention for outdoor cat?

We've never let a cat out before, but our current cat is going out a bit in the backyard, not venturing far, so we're letting it happen. I'm worried she will bring ticks back into the house, as our last cat would always get ticks when he escaped, which wasn't often. The vet didn't have many suggestions, so wanted to see what people here like and use.

For our dog we use a pill which is great, but it doesn't seem like that exists for cats?

Thanks!
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

We use Frontline and have had success with it.
    DS 2008
    DD 2010
    DS 2014

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Frontline works well for my dogs. Be aware that most of Mass has coyotes in it.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have used Frontline on our cat. You can get at Costco.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    Frontline works well for my dogs. Be aware that most of Mass has coyotes in it.
    My NE family, who lived outside of town for years (but not really rural), would agree that ticks were the least of their worries. They lost several cats (and even more chickens!) to various predators.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I would honestly just keep the cat indoors. There's many parasites, in addition to ticks. There's quite a few internal parasites and those can be transmitted to people. Outdoor cats are also at risk from predators, disease, cars, mean people...the list goes on. Outdoor cats (even if they are well fed) also kill native wildlife.
    I know you said the cat doesn't leave your yard, but eventually that will change as it gets more comfortable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    My NE family, who lived outside of town for years (but not really rural), would agree that ticks were the least of their worries. They lost several cats (and even more chickens!) to various predators.
    Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    I'm less than 10mi from downtown (most definitely not rural!) and our neighborhood group posts sightings nearly weekly of coyotes. Plus we have eagles, fox, owls, hawks and even had a fisher cat sighting.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!