Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Staraglimmer is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Default I need a convertible seat.

DS is 28 3/4 inches and 18 pounds. I believe he is 1/4 of an inch from outgrowing his keyfit. I need a convertible seat for him. I only bought Britax for my girls. I’ve owned at least 7 of them. After the way they handled the BOB stroller safety concerns and their seats breaking during consumer reports testing, I just don’t want to support them any longer

What on earth do I buy?

Right now my kids are 3 across in my Odyssey. I was considering a Radian but I’ve read that they don’t install well in Odyssey vans. I’m also wondering if a higher seat would be better so he could see out the window.

TIA for any opinions or insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Stephanie

Mommy to two little girls,
    April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018

Radians are good if you really need a narrow seat, but (despite the limits listed on the box) don't last very long forward facing and are fairly useless as a booster. My kids and I are big fans of the Graco Extend2Fit 3 in 1 (there are some differences between it and the "regular" version that make me like it much more, unrelated to potential booster use) and Milestone. If you need a little narrower, the Slimfit is basically a narrower version of the Milestone. We got rid of a Chicco NextFit when my son was younger because it was freaking impossible to tighten the harness, but I hear they have fixed that problem and it is now a great seat. We've loved our Chicco KeyFit and MyFit, so I wouldn't hesitate to try it if you don't mind the higher sides.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We love our radians. They are all models without the wings, so shoulders can be above top slots as log as tops ears are not above the shell. I may just have short torso kids, but they have all been harnessed to age 6 or 7.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

Quote Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
    We love our radians. They are all models without the wings, so shoulders can be above top slots as log as tops ears are not above the shell. I may just have short torso kids, but they have all been harnessed to age 6 or 7.
    Just so others know, they changed the rule on that. There are still a bunch of older ones out there that allow shoulders above the top harness slots forward facing, but the new ones do not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Thank you for the replies! I’m really torn. I’m leaning towards the radian for space but I’m afraid that it will be really low and baby won’t be able to see out of the window.

Stephanie

April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Staraglimmer View Post
    Thank you for the replies! I’m really torn. I’m leaning towards the radian for space but I’m afraid that it will be really low and baby won’t be able to see out of the window.

Do you have a place nearby that will let you try seats in your vehicle before you buy? I did that with all the ones I bought, and changed my mind on one purchase because of it. Buy Buy Baby is probably the biggest chain that does this now that BRU is gone.

In my Sienna I can put almost anything in the captains chairs, but very very few things will fit in the plus one seat due to its shape. Don’t remember how the Odyssey seats are shaped.

DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Do you have a place nearby that will let you try seats in your vehicle before you buy? I did that with all the ones I bought, and changed my mind on one purchase because of it. Buy Buy Baby is probably the biggest chain that does this now that BRU is gone.

In my Sienna I can put almost anything in the captains chairs, but very very few things will fit in the plus one seat due to its shape. Don’t remember how the Odyssey seats are shaped.

Yes to this! After DD1 hated the convertible car seat (we had a Marathon) I vowed I would find a car seat that DD2 didn’t hate so I took her to a local baby store who let me try her in a few seats and she was the happiest in the Graco My Ride (and the baby store had a nicer fabric than the BRUS one) and the Britax Blvd. . I tried them in the car and the Britax was easier to install. If the Graco would’ve had better connectors we would’ve gone with that. Granted it has been 8 years since I last bought a convertible seat but I was so glad I took my kid with me and tried seats in my car.

Also if I were buying today and I didn’t want to buy a Britax I would definitely be checking out the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio seat as we have been really happy with the Peg Perego booster seat we have for DD2.

https://smile.amazon.com/Peg-Perego-...o+primo&sr=8-3

(Check the Amazon Warehouse as I have bought a few new in box car seats from there and the only reason they were there was because the box was broken...all were less than 6 months old)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 04-14-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Sadly, since Baby’s R Us closed, Wal-Mart Target and 2 high end stores that only carry 1-2 options are the only b&m stores to choose from. . I really miss BRU.

Stephanie

April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How long do you want to rf? Sounds like he's a pretty big baby!

We always had premium seats (britax, radian, etc) with my older kids but I have the extend to fit for my youngest (now 3 - he's on the bigger side). It's fine but I don't love it. I would probably turn him around except you have to have it on a really steep recline for a ff under 40lb. It's installed passenger outbound in my 2018 Ody. I had an older peg perego (one of the first released). I loved that seat - harness is silky smooth like butter but he outgrew it around 2.5 which is when I got the graco PP may have changed the rules on rf with the newer models.

FWIW my kids all loved the radians because they were so easy so climb into and lots of legroom. Actually when DS2 was about 16-17 months he insisted on sitting in DS1's radian rather than the marathon he had been in so I got another. This was before the giant harness pads though.

Have you checked out the reviews on csftl.org?
    Last edited by legaleagle; 04-16-2019 at 09:51 AM.

I always had Britax for my kids and a few Radians for travel. I coined the get DDs old Radian to install the way I wanted it to in my Odyssey rear facing. I finally ordered a Chicco to try. I just don’t trust Britax.

Stephanie

April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast