Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

African safari...doing this this summer
    South Pacific overwater bungalow. DH is not on board. Yet.
    Egypt and Morocco
    Iceland
    The rest of Europe (somehow haven’t managed Paris and London yet, Germany, Croatia, Finland)
    Russia
    India
    Asia, although not sure the itenerary yet (Hong Kong for sure as DH grew up there).
    Would love to see Antarctica
    Take our kids to Australia (DH and I went on our honeymoon). Add New Zealand.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

For those with kids in high school, you many get a more vacations with them than you think. My nieces and nephew continue to go on vacations with the family for a week or two in the summer and over Christmas break. They travel some on their own the rest of the summer and over spring break.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    For those with kids in high school, you many get a more vacations with them than you think. My nieces and nephew continue to go on vacations with the family for a week or two in the summer and over Christmas break. They travel some on their own the rest of the summer and over spring break.
    I have nieces and nephews doing that too. The parents often pay for the hotel and maybe flights and the kids are picking up their entertainment.
    Kris

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

New Zealand and Greece are on my list. I've been to Greece when I was younger but not as an adult. And Indonesia, where DH and I traveled together, but would love to take the kids. And Bhutan!

for Sandy Hook

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    My family definitely traveled more when I was in high school and college than when I was in elementary school. And I never stopped traveling with my parents. I still go on a trip with them (somewhere other than their house or our house) at least every couple of years. We split the cost in different ways for different trips, ranging from me treating my mom to a cruise to us each paying our own parts to them covering almost everything. I am trying to fit in what makes sense while my kids are young, but definitely hope to keep going places with them for a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This is the funnest thread I think I've ever come across! I love reading about your destinations. I've determined going just about anywhere in the wide world can be amazing but I'm sticking with my biggest ones.

So, after some thought, I've broken it down into "solo" or with other friend trips, DH trips, and family trips.

I have some destinations that unfortunately my somewhat nervous DH would never truly enjoy with me. Basically anything exotic would need to be done sans DH. Even beach destinations are not his favorite. So on that note, I want to do a "Silk Route" type of trip. That is my dream of dreams because I'm a historian and my specialty was connections between civilizations. I'd also love to do something on the Mediterranean that explores those ancient interests. I'm particularly interested in Turkey. My dream locations aren't always in the safest spots!

Now DH would go to Europe with me and he'd be the perfect person to bring there. He's an artist and I could spend a week in the Louvre with him. We love art museums and could spend time in most of the great cities of Europe and really love it. I've been to Paris but I wouldn't mind going back. I have always wanted to go to Venice. I also dream of touring the Loire valley in France. Basically anything arty would be perfect for DH and I.

With the kids, I have so many dreams. We'll see how many become realities. I want to take the kids to Scotland because DH's has a strong heritage from there though we could also visit Switzerland, Germany, and England to follow our family roots. On the same note, I want to go to the exotic Laurel Mississippi and upstate New York and other family history sites. I want to bring them to visit the sites sacred to our religion--both the Holy Land in Israel and also some of the places here in America that were central to the foundations of Mormonism--Palmyra, NY, Kirtland, OH, Independence, MO. I want to do some kind of paradise beach vacation. We're fortunate that we live on the CA coast and are no strangers to beaches but they've never been to a tropical beach. I'm hoping that I can afford to bring them to Hawaii some day. (DH is on board for HI thankfully!)

I think within reach are vacations here in the US. I've been by far the most traveled of any of the members of my family. I've lived in Dakar and Nice and I've been to Paris, Hawaii and Canada and DH and the kids have never been out of the US.

That said, about one of the most exotic places I've ever been was Carlsbad Caverns in NM! And that was on our trip to two "not very exciting cities" in TX as I mentioned in my post. I guess that gives me hope that within our means we can still create some magical memories.

Isn't it wonderful that we can never see every place or get bored? Love reading this forum and have loved the suggestions you've given for my travel questions.

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    African safari...doing this this summer
    South Pacific overwater bungalow. DH is not on board. Yet.
    Egypt and Morocco
    Iceland
    The rest of Europe (somehow haven’t managed Paris and London yet, Germany, Croatia, Finland)
    Russia
    India
    Asia, although not sure the itenerary yet (Hong Kong for sure as DH grew up there).
    Would love to see Antarctica
    Take our kids to Australia (DH and I went on our honeymoon). Add New Zealand.
    We are doing Africa too this summer. My husband and oldest have been to Kenya before but we all are going on this trip and covering more areas. Need to get ready!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andie16 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

For those of you who have been/are going to Africa, care to share more details? My youngest is 9 and we've been waiting for her to get a little older, but I think we may be almost there.

Also on my bucket list are Alaska, Greece, and Galapagos.

I agree, fun thread!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3