bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Scared and vain...

My SIL invited me to join her for a free High Fitness class today. I should be all over this! I love group fitness, I love dance. I’m working out every day and my SIL is one of my best friends. But I’m vain! The last time I did group fitness with these people I was fit—meaning both thin and skilled! Now I’m much older, had two more kids, not as skilled and currently about 20 pounds overweight. I’m scared I won’t be able to keep up and will look ridiculous. I’m embarrassed to say that I’m worried about what other people will think about me. I’m determined to care more about my health and enjoyment than entertain vain notions of pleasing other people but I’ve almost texted my SIL so many times this morning not to go....

What you're feeling is totally understandable, but I hope you'll still go! I was exactly in your shoes 7 years ago when I went to my first kickboxing class. I was so nervous that people would notice my "pudge" having had 2 kids and being 20 pounds heavier than my high school athlete weight. I wore baggy clothes as I didn't want anyone to see my muffin top over the yoga pant waistband or my flabby upper arms. But you know what? No one batted an eye! All the ladies were very friendly, helpful, and we had a great time. I also want to say, in case you're worried, that only 2 of the 20 ladies were in "peak physical condition" (meaning sculpted upper arms, lean bodies, and probably ready to step into a fitness photo shoot). Most women don't look like fitness models because we have a MILLION other things to focus on before our own health.

Seven years later, despite a few injuries (including a recent 6 month stint of not going to class), I am now 30 pounds over my high school weight. But I still go to class (just started again last month) AND I wear my yoga pants and form-fitting tank tops even though I'm chubbier than before and I can see my belly in the mirror. I don't care and I know my fellow classmates don't either. We have a great time, sweat up a storm, and finish class on an adrenaline high!

I think once you show up and see that everyone is having fun and NOT judging one another, you'll have a fantastic time. Please go!

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I get it! However, I find the reasons you are worried motivating for me. I almost exclusively do group classes because I will push myself. I find it too easy to stop or slow down on my own. I have felt the same as you many times but i can tell you I am often too busy trying to survive the class myself to even notice what others are doing. I have also never been in a class where there is anything but encouragement for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    What you're feeling is totally understandable, but I hope you'll still go! I was exactly in your shoes 7 years ago when I went to my first kickboxing class. I was so nervous that people would notice my "pudge" having had 2 kids and being 20 pounds heavier than my high school athlete weight. I wore baggy clothes as I didn't want anyone to see my muffin top over the yoga pant waistband or my flabby upper arms. But you know what? No one batted an eye! All the ladies were very friendly, helpful, and we had a great time. I also want to say, in case you're worried, that only 2 of the 20 ladies were in "peak physical condition" (meaning sculpted upper arms, lean bodies, and probably ready to step into a fitness photo shoot). Most women don't look like fitness models because we have a MILLION other things to focus on before our own health.

Seven years later, despite a few injuries (including a recent 6 month stint of not going to class), I am now 30 pounds over my high school weight. But I still go to class (just started again last month) AND I wear my yoga pants and form-fitting tank tops even though I'm chubbier than before and I can see my belly in the mirror. I don't care and I know my fellow classmates don't either. We have a great time, sweat up a storm, and finish class on an adrenaline high!

I think once you show up and see that everyone is having fun and NOT judging one another, you'll have a fantastic time. Please go!
    Thank you for sharing that! I think I might really like this. Heading out in 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I get it! However, I find the reasons you are worried motivating for me. I almost exclusively do group classes because I will push myself. I find it too easy to stop or slow down on my own. I have felt the same as you many times but i can tell you I am often too busy trying to survive the class myself to even notice what others are doing. I have also never been in a class where there is anything but encouragement for everyone.
    I find it motivating too! And I love routines and dance and music. I definitely don’t notice others. I’ll just try to remember that. I’m also planning on staying in the back, lol.

How did it go?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    How did it go?!?!?
    It was SO fun. I probably looked a fool but I didn’t care. I’ll be back. So glad I went!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    It was SO fun. I probably looked a fool but I didn’t care. I’ll be back. So glad I went!
    Great update! Just go and have fun
    K

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m Glad you went! I was nervous initially going to Zumba because I have zero coordination, but it’s so much fun and really no one cares. Everyone is too busy worrying how they look and trying to keep up
    My coordination has greatly improved since I started!
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis