Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    Yes, I agree.
    But I highly recommend the Cartoon Network animated Clone Wars series. THAT was what I wish the movies were. *sigh*
    Have you seen Star Wars Rebels? I loved that one! Also by Dave Filoni.

So my critique of 8 includes most of the pieces of Gatorsmoms critiques but went further!

I didn’t like what they did to Poe’s character. He’s responsible for a ton of deaths in that movie! That’s treason—not plucky courage. And Finn! He had some character development in 7 and it was washed away in 8.

There’s that completely pointless and distracting scene midway through the movie.

Also, I hated the way they treated the Force and Jedis in 8. The burning of the texts. Saying the force is in everyone. So maybe I’m like the fan boys and I LIKE the concept of Jedi monks who train for decades and are really something special! I feel like Johnson tore down the Jedi ideology in 8.

Finally, all of the interesting questions and conflicts that were set up in 7 were dashed to pieces in 8. Who are Rey’s parents? What’s her connection to Skywalker? Who is Snoke? etc. Really unsatisfying that way!

I actually liked Episode VII and Solo, and I loved Rogue One. I’d like to see Abrams “fix” this trilogy but it’s a tall order! The trailer gives me “A New Hope” haha.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The texts weren't burned. They were in the Falcon.

Also, GL set up the story as a soap opera in space. Soap operas revolve around one or two core families; that's just the genre. Any story numbered as episode 1-9 should revolve around the Skywalker family. Otherwise call it something else (like the Solo movie or Rogue One). There's nothing wrong with expanding beyond the Skywalkers, but episodes 1-9 are about the Skywalkers. Or should be.

I think Abrams can improve it, though. I maintain faith.
    Last edited by sariana; 04-18-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    The texts weren't burned. They were in the Falcon.

Also, GL set up the story as a soap opera in space. Soap operas revolve around one or two core families; that's just the genre. Any story numbered as episode 1-9 should revolve around the Skywalker family. Otherwise call it something else (like the Solo movie or Rogue One). There's nothing wrong with expanding beyond the Skywalkers, but episodes 1-9 are about the Skywalkers. Or should be.

I think Abrams can improve it, though. I maintain faith.
    I did not catch that they were saved!! I don’t quite understand your second paragraph—is that in response to my critique?

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I did not catch that they were saved!! I don’t quite understand your second paragraph—is that in response to my critique?
    Oops, no, sorry, my second paragraph was a more general response.

Toward the end of TLJ there is a very brief shot of the texts in a drawer on the MF. I’ve seen this discussed elsewhere, and it is presumed that Yoda was fully aware that the books were no longer in the tree when he struck it. That’s just speculation, though.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    Oops, no, sorry, my second paragraph was a more general response.

Toward the end of TLJ there is a very brief shot of the texts in a drawer on the MF. I’ve seen this discussed elsewhere, and it is presumed that Yoda was fully aware that the books were no longer in the tree when he struck it. That’s just speculation, though.
    I like your speculation. I’m going to do with it. I agree that it’s about the Skywalker family. We haven’t learned much about them in the last two movies. Crossing fingers that the plot will bear fruit in 9.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2