♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Lori Loughlin pleads not guilty

i know i shouldn't care so much but it's hard to look away. and the SNL skit this weekend (lol) had me thinking about it again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/15/u...ot-guilty.html

i think this is really stark contrast to Felicity Huffman who wrote that (sincere-sounding) letter of apology for what she did and took the plea bargain. also, imo, what Lori did was worse in my mind, due to the amount of money involved and the nature of what she did (i think bribery of $500k is way worse than paying $15k to score a few extra pts on an exam).

they added money laundering charge so technically Lori could get a max of 40 years in prison.

though many are saying she seems somewhat in denial? she was still signing autographs etc when going out. but, maybe she's just a good actress..

do u think a judge will actually make her go to prison? i somehow can't see that happening, though i think she deserves it. some are saying most judges do not want to be seen as being too lenient on a rich celebrity.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 04-15-2019 at 02:32 PM.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m really surprised by this. I don’t see her getting off on her celebrity. Like you, I think the judge will make great strides to make sure there is fairness since this is such a high profile case. Maybe she’s hoping her lawyer can get her off on a technicality? Or maybe she thinks she can convince a jury?

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Or maybe her reputation is so important to her that she’d rather be in prison protesting her innocence than admit to her fans that she did this? (Think Legally Blonde here. “I’d rather die than lose my reputation!”)

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yeah, could be that...one podcast I was listening to was saying she doesn’t appear to understand she did anything illegal. I can’t wrap my head around this - that sounds like the “affluenza” defense (I’m so rich and in an alternate universe than most people, so I couldn’t fully grasp the negative consequences of my actions). I have a hard time believing this - I think she’s fairly smart and totally knew what she was doing .

The defendants in this case were trying to get a new judge as they felt the current judge assigned to the case had a tough reputation however they were unsuccessful. I think she will do prison time. I'm guessing the plea may have involved some prison time and she somehow thinks she will do better pleading not guilty. She comes across likable but not necessarily that smart. She was acting in soap operas at 15 so though it says she graduated high school my guess is that she was not focused on her education.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would have thought they would have gotten really good lawyers with the amount of money they have tossed way for their girls to go to college. I think they will do jail time and probably much more than they would have if they took the original plea. Huffman put out 15 grand to have someone fix her daughters SAT scores Loughlin put out 500 grand to get them into college. I agree with ms.pacman she has a big old case of affluenza and sees no real wrong in what she did and why she cant pay to fix it.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    I agree with ms.pacman she has a big old case of affluenza and sees no real wrong in what she did and why she cant pay to fix it.
    Me, too. It feels like she is saying that she is the victim in this and she couldn't be more wrong IMHO.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I know people close to this through my college athletics connections. Based on what I know, my guess is that this guy came across as legit (even though that seems ridiculous in hindsight will all the info that's out there), and a service to rich people to get the kids into college and Loughlin will argue that she thought it was totally legit, he is the one that tricked her and that she didn't know of all the means he used to get the daughters in. Definite affluenza. It's the only thing that might make sense as to why she thinks pleading not guilty is the right move here!
    DD
    DS

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elektra View Post
    I know people close to this through my college athletics connections. Based on what I know, my guess is that this guy came across as legit (even though that seems ridiculous in hindsight will all the info that's out there), and a service to rich people to get the kids into college and Loughlin will argue that she thought it was totally legit, he is the one that tricked her and that she didn't know of all the means he used to get the daughters in. Definite affluenza. It's the only thing that might make sense as to why she thinks pleading not guilty is the right move here!
    I could completely see her thinking that it's really not much different that paying $$ to get to the front of the line for something or getting stuff for free because you are famous. However, the law doesn't care if you know it's illegal or not.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our legal system is so messed up, everyone seems to think if they have enough money they will get off. I think that is what is happening here.

I appreciated Felicity Huffman's letter, but honestly I feel like her daughter must have known what was going on. She is still trying to bulldoze the world in front of her daughter.