Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default At what age did your kids not believe in Easter Bunny or Santa?

DS is almost 11.5yo and in 5th grade. Before Christmas, it seemed he was still believing in Santa and our Elf. He is an only, so only friends to convince him otherwise. Last week we were grocery shopping and he asked if we would be getting Peeps for Easter. I asked him who filled the Easter basket and he responded "you do"
    So I guess the Easter bunny is done, despite my trying to convince him otherwise.
    How old were your kids when they stopped believing? Do I give away the Elf?
    mom to Billy 12/07

Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
    Do I give away the Elf?
    Putting my personal feelings about the Elf aside , I wouldn't give it away or do anything different re: your bunny or santa traditions until and unless DS says he wants to. I was 8 when I asked, my mother acknowledged and never tried to convince me otherwise and I greatly appreciated her honesty, but she kept everything the same - gifts just appeared, baskets just appeared - which I likewise appreciated.

I think this was the first year of DS1 not believing in Santa. He was 9.5ish. I can’t remember how old DD was but maybe the same age. DS2 still believes but he’s 5. I think kids figure it out 9-10 or so. 11.5 seems old to still believe. That’s middle school here. (But if your older kid still believes, that’s cool too )
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

reneed is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

DS figured it out right after his 12th birthday. He is an only as well

State of relief now that we will have sanity in the White House again

I can’t imagine kids actually believe in Santa/Easter bunny past the age of 9 or so. I think they would just be going along with it because it’s tradition with your family.

I’m trying to figure out if ,y 8-year-old is still on bard with the bunny. He was a huge Santa skeptic this past year, so I’m pretty sure the bunny ship has sailed.
    ds 2004
    ds 2006
    ds 2008
    ds 2010

We never did the Easter Bunny, really, though our home is transformed from Lent to Easter on Easter morning, and decorations and baskets do appear as if by magic. I have never once mentioned the Easter Bunny, though, so they only know about that idea from friends and movies and well-meaning folks at church asking what the Easter Bunny brought them. Santa is big in our house, however, and both kids know the story of St. Nicholas of Myra and how he gave gifts to the children in secret, but even after he died, the gifts continued to appear, and soon the story of St. Nicholas and the miracle of the still-appearing gifts had spread throughout the world. My 10 year old, I think, understands that the gifts continue to appear because of the love of human beings who want to carry on the example of anonymous generosity. Whenever DS asks me if I believe in Santa, I say I absolutely do, because Santa is the embodiment of generosity and celebration, and I believe in the miracle of that kind of love. This year he said in response, “Yes, I believe in that, too, so I believe in Santa!” My 6 year old is a true believer. I think the 10 year old knows but wants to preserve the magic. I won’t change the way I do things even after both of them are older. Knowing doesn’t need to ruin anything. It just means they can be a bigger part of being the bearer of joy to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think it may be time to break it to him. My three learned 8-9. 8 was too young, but he heard a convo of older girls at school.

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    Knowing doesn’t need to ruin anything. It just means they can be a bigger part of being the bearer of joy to others.

Yes to this! DD had absolutely loved helping out keeping the magic if Santa alive for her brothers. Last Christmas, DD wrote a very intricate letter to Ds2 from Santa (he had left a note asking a few questions.). And this year DS1 keeps hyping up the Easter bunny to Ds2. It’s very sweet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS confessed in 7th grade that he had known for years. He was going along with it for our sakes and to keep enjoying it! He told me I wasn’t very quiet when I’d go in to put the tooth fairy money under his pillow. I thought I was stealth-like!! He still wants Santa present and Easter basket though!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Dd2 is 8 (9 in 2 weeks) and still believed in Santa, but this past year but the kids at school were saying Santa isn’t real. I simply told her some kids don’t celebrate Christmas or believe in Santa and I told her there was nothing wrong with it. I am okay with her knowing Santa isn’t real at this point, but if she wants to keep believing that is on her I just don’t want her being made fun of regarding Believing in Santa.

I think DD1 says she was 9 or 10 when she figured it out and she said she always believed.

My kids are freaked out by the Easter Bunny so I am pretty sure they know it isn’t real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast