Question If you knew you needed a career change,

but didn't have money to go back to college, and didn't know what you would do that would pay enough, would be flexible/ family-friendly, and make you happy/ fulfilled, what steps did you take to figure out what change to make?

Did you meet with some sort of career counselor? Take some sort of quiz online or from a book? How did you figure out if it would be a career you would be happy in, long-term?

Thanks for your help!

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

All of the above. I read career guidance books, did online quizzes, I was also seeing a therapist for other things and we discussed career options. When I found a possible career, I then did research to see what the job would be like, employment options etc. I considered several things that were linked to my current job and education. A friend suggested I cast my net wider and think outside the box. DH suggested the health care field based on how I enjoyed a class I had taken through a local university extension. I talked with friends in fields I might be interested in.

I did need to go back to college, and I started part-time to ease into it and see if it was right for me. It was still a jump of faith, but I knew from my research and talking to people in the field that i would enjoy more than my prior job.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default If you knew you needed a career change,

I have a friend who left a solid marketing career to become a nurse. She was always interested in health care, it was a natural progression. She took out loans (maybe not 100 percent) with two kids in early elementary, one of whom had significant learning differences. She had to complete a ba plus a nursing masters. She loves her nursing job, finds it super fulfilling. She works in specialized cancer unit at a university hospital.

Another friend left social work to become a realtor. She is loving it.

If I left my current career, I would sell beautycounter while I figured out what I wanted to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by Kindra178; 04-17-2019 at 10:19 PM.

I was in marketing and advertising before I had my kids. I was a SAHM for over a decade and when I started thinking about what I was going to do next someone on this board talked about Myers-Briggs. (Thank you BBB!) This is a personality test and unofficial versions of it can be found by googling. When I did it, it indicated that becoming a counselor/therapist would be a good fit for my personality and psychology was my initial major in college before switching. I did go back to school and am now a therapist. All of this is to say that maybe a Myers-Briggs would be a good place for you to start.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m a big believer in the book “What Color is Your Parachute” to get your mind working in the right direction.

Also, figure out your goals in life. Most people don’t have jobs that fulfill them in some deep way, but if they are treated well, get a fair wage and can have time do do things that do fulfill them it works. Be honest with yourself about what you want is my advice.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

the book dogmom suggested (what color) is a good one. I personally met with a career coach, took 4 tests and found it to be helpful (and expensive). Good luck!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Also I know you suggest you can't afford to go back to school but take a good look at the programs your community college offers. I went back to school (from teaching) to ultrasound which was offered through our community college. I think the entire program was around 7k for an 18 month program. I am only working very part time (my preference, there's an abundance of job openings in our area) but the average sonographer in our area makes easily twice as much as I was making as a teacher. Last year I made more than my full time teaching salary and I only worked 2-3 days a week most weeks, several weeks not at all, several weeks only once a week.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019