Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for the head's up! All this time I've been thinking that DD is fully vaccinated, never occurred to me to think about myself. Ugh, full mom brain thinking of everyone else first, thanks for the nudge to look into my own well being

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with the suggestion to check titers. Also, it is important to recognize that certain people should NOT get the MMR vaccine. From the CDC website on MMR:

Who Should Not Get MMR Vaccine?
    Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) vaccine
    Some people should not get MMR vaccine or should wait.

Tell your vaccine provider if the person getting the vaccine:

Has any severe, life-threatening allergies. A person who has ever had a life-threatening allergic reaction after a dose of MMR vaccine, or has a severe allergy to any part of this vaccine, may be advised not to be vaccinated. Ask your health care provider if you want information about vaccine components.
    Is pregnant, or thinks she might be pregnant. Pregnant women should wait to get MMR vaccine until after they are no longer pregnant. Women should avoid getting pregnant for at least 1 month after getting MMR vaccine.
    Has a weakened immune system due to disease (such as cancer or HIV/AIDS) or medical treatments (such as radiation, immunotherapy, steroids, or chemotherapy).
    Has a parent, brother, or sister with a history of immune system problems.
    Has ever had a condition that makes them bruise or bleed easily.
    Has recently had a blood transfusion or received other blood products. You might be advised to postpone MMR vaccination for 3 months or more.
    Has tuberculosis.
    Has gotten any other vaccines in the past 4 weeks. Live vaccines given too close together might not work as well.
    Is not feeling well. A mild illness, such as a cold, is usually not a reason to postpone a vaccination. Someone who is moderately or severely ill should probably wait. Your doctor can advise you.

This information was taken directly from the MMR (Measles, Mumps & Rubella) Vaccine information Statement (VIS) dated 2/12/2018.

Learn who should not get MMRV vaccine, which protects against measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella (chickenpox). This vaccine is only licensed for use in children who are 12 months through 12 years of age.

Emphasis added on the areas that concern me the most - immune system issues. With the rampant autoimmunity, common use of biologics/steroids that suppress immune function, and immunosuppression, this could impact a significant number of families. I blindly trusted our pediatrician and the CDC's recommendation to have Tdap booster and menactra vaccines at same time (11 year vaccines) rather than reading the vaccine inserts, created by the vaccine manufacturers. It is clearly stated in the inserts that by giving these vaccines together, there is a much higher risk of neurological injury, which happened to my child. I wished I had done more research and at least spaced the vaccines out.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melbel View Post
    I agree with the suggestion to check titers. Also, it is important to recognize that certain people should NOT get the MMR vaccine. From the CDC website on MMR:

Who Should Not Get MMR Vaccine?
    Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) vaccine
    Some people should not get MMR vaccine or should wait.

Tell your vaccine provider if the person getting the vaccine:

Has any severe, life-threatening allergies. A person who has ever had a life-threatening allergic reaction after a dose of MMR vaccine, or has a severe allergy to any part of this vaccine, may be advised not to be vaccinated. Ask your health care provider if you want information about vaccine components.
    Is pregnant, or thinks she might be pregnant. Pregnant women should wait to get MMR vaccine until after they are no longer pregnant. Women should avoid getting pregnant for at least 1 month after getting MMR vaccine.
    Has a weakened immune system due to disease (such as cancer or HIV/AIDS) or medical treatments (such as radiation, immunotherapy, steroids, or chemotherapy).
    Has a parent, brother, or sister with a history of immune system problems.
    Has ever had a condition that makes them bruise or bleed easily.
    Has recently had a blood transfusion or received other blood products. You might be advised to postpone MMR vaccination for 3 months or more.
    Has tuberculosis.
    Has gotten any other vaccines in the past 4 weeks. Live vaccines given too close together might not work as well.
    Is not feeling well. A mild illness, such as a cold, is usually not a reason to postpone a vaccination. Someone who is moderately or severely ill should probably wait. Your doctor can advise you.

This information was taken directly from the MMR (Measles, Mumps & Rubella) Vaccine information Statement (VIS) dated 2/12/2018.

Learn who should not get MMRV vaccine, which protects against measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella (chickenpox). This vaccine is only licensed for use in children who are 12 months through 12 years of age.

Emphasis added on the areas that concern me the most - immune system issues. With the rampant autoimmunity, common use of biologics/steroids that suppress immune function, and immunosuppression, this could impact a significant number of families. I blindly trusted our pediatrician and the CDC's recommendation to have Tdap booster and menactra vaccines at same time (11 year vaccines) rather than reading the vaccine inserts, created by the vaccine manufacturers. It is clearly stated in the inserts that by giving these vaccines together, there is a much higher risk of neurological injury, which happened to my child. I wished I had done more research and at least spaced the vaccines out.
    the last package insert I read said to wait at least 3 months before getting pregnant. Interesting it is only licensed from 12 months to 12 yrs.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

OK, so there is sort of some half information going on in this thread. Helpful information for people to have.

1) One of the reasons vaccines didn’t “take” or people needed boosters for MMR is that they were not properly stored or administered. For example: Doctor’s offices at one point were treating the vaccine vials not careful enough, such as leaving a multi dose vial out on a counter because 3 kids in a row were getting it, putting it back, taking it out and doing it again. It lost its ability to confer immunity at some point. So it’s not just they didn’t “take”. Because of past outbreaks are always scrutinized very closely by public health officials we have learned a lot and have gotten better at it at several points along th way. Yes, there will be some people that never convert. That is why herd immunity is so important

2) Titers are not always covered by insurance. The expense can be quite prohibitive. The reality is if you have had vaccines and not had a serious reaction your are even less likely to get a very rare serious side effect.

3) People talk about vaccine side effects all the time. I am not making any judgments on people here, but IRL many of the things that were ascribed to vaccines probably weren’t, they were merely linked in time not cause. In fact some of the most infamous cases of serious vaccine side effects still don’t have evidence that they actually were caused by the vaccine.

4) Adults can absolutely get the MMR. Here is the recommend vaccine schedule for adults. http://www.immunize.org/va/va53_2017...n-schedule.pdf

5) yes, medical errors are serious and happen all the time. However it is important to look at the mechanics of errors. For a significant medical error to occur with a vaccine for most people the MD/RN would have to draw up a drug that can be given in a really small dose, in the muscle, that could cause damage. None of those medicines that fit that bill would be hanging around a primary care office. In an intensive care unit? Sure. Mess up oral medications at a pharmacy or slip a digit in concentration? Yes. It’s more likely the error would be in you not getting enough dose of a vaccine vs getting the wrong injection. Some vaccines have some allergens for some people, but most people/vaccine combination do not fall into that.
    Last edited by dogmom; 04-21-2019 at 09:51 AM.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Measles vaccination PSA - check your personal records

Please check vaccination records.

I’ve seen at work what seizures from encephalitis do to a baby that is too young to be vaccinated. Herd immunity is very important!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3