Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default S/O: dressing in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by LD92599 View Post
    Oceania is a high end cruise line; i’d definitely look into their dress code, if they have one. Many cruise lines (esp Disney!) have relaxed their dress code over the last few years.

but i’d go with comfort and ease of packing vs fitting in
    My parents said it is very much country club like so no denim or mens sandals at dinner (my dad wore Birks into the main dining room with khakis and a Hawaiian shirt (that is his summer country club casual uniform) and he had to go back and change the Birks). Dh will be fine in khakis and a button down or polo shirt. He might need a sport coat for one night, but I am not 100% sure. I plan on taking my Boden casual jersey dresses or maxi dresses. We will be fine with the dress code on the ship.

This is the dress code description from Cruise Critic:
    Oceania Cruises

The Dress Code: Oceania keeps its policy simple and casual. Country club and resort-style attire are generally appropriate; think button-down shirts and slacks for men and dresses, nice pants or skirts and tops for women. In all evening dining venues, passengers are requested to adhere to a more "elegant" interpretation of country club casual dress code.

Jeans, shorts, T-shirts, baseball caps and tennis shoes should not be worn at dinner or in any public areas after 6 p.m. (although caps are permitted in the Terrace Cafe buffet.) Tank tops and swimsuits are not appropriate attire for any of the onboard restaurants at any time.

Number of Formal Nights: None.

Nightly Casual Option: The ship maintains a more casual dress code than most upscale lines, so evening casual wear is appropriate throughout the ship. Shorts and casual shirts are allowed in Terrace Cafe during the evening. Room service is always an option for the sweatpants and T-shirt crowd.

—————————
    And here is the answer from Oceania:
    https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/h...-a-dress-code-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 04-23-2019 at 12:47 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I’d avoid white sneakers and a fancy pack, but I don’t own those anyways. That’s about it. Make sure you’re comfortable, especially shoes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    I’d avoid white sneakers and a fancy pack, but I don’t own those anyways. That’s about it. Make sure you’re comfortable, especially shoes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I haven’t owned a fanny pack since the early 90s, and I don’t own any white sneakers! Fanny packs are gaining popularity again! I much prefer a simple cross body bag.

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I haven’t owned a fanny pack since the early 90s, and I don’t own any white sneakers! Fanny packs are gaining popularity again! I much prefer a simple cross body bag.
    Fanny packs, scrunchies and white sneakers are all back in! (I think niccig is thinking about the "mom jeans" variety of white sneakers, but it is funny how these trends have come full circle!)

for Sandy Hook

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Fanny packs, scrunchies and white sneakers are all back in! (I think niccig is thinking about the "mom jeans" variety of white sneakers, but it is funny how these trends have come full circle!)
    Big white sneakers (especially Filas) were all over the place in Paris. Mostly a younger crowd - but my kids made sure to point them out to me! (I told them they couldn't bring big white sneakers, after DD2 wanted to buy these exact Filas for the trip lol.)

And fanny packs AS the cross body bag were everywhere! DH made sure to point that out to me - he uses a fanny pack when traveling and I always make fun of it.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

I think the new "waist bags" are a lot different from the "fanny packs" of the 80s/90s. They're much sleeker. That said, I will not be wearing one.

Whenever there's one of those Buzzfeed "how to pick out American tourists" quizzes "white trainers" is always mentioned (along with free event t-shirts). I feel like most grownups don't wear the tacky white sneakers so much. Now it seems like a fashion choice. DC isn't really a fashion capital, but I see far fewer white sneakers these days, unless they're clearly part of a "look".

As for the original question, I agree with PP, you're going to be surrounded by a gaggle of people from a cruise ship. There's no way you won't look like a tourist. That said, I'm more of a dress up than dress down person, so I'd lean toward nice tops & skirt/shorts or dresses vs shorts and tee shirts. But it really doesn't matter, wear what you like. No one will be handing out fashion awards as you leave port.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I think the new "waist bags" are a lot different from the "fanny packs" of the 80s/90s. They're much sleeker. That said, I will not be wearing one.

Whenever there's one of those Buzzfeed "how to pick out American tourists" quizzes "white trainers" is always mentioned (along with free event t-shirts). I feel like most grownups don't wear the tacky white sneakers so much. Now it seems like a fashion choice. DC isn't really a fashion capital, but I see far fewer white sneakers these days, unless they're clearly part of a "look".

As for the original question, I agree with PP, you're going to be surrounded by a gaggle of people from a cruise ship. There's no way you won't look like a tourist. That said, I'm more of a dress up than dress down person, so I'd lean toward nice tops & skirt/shorts or dresses vs shorts and tee shirts. But it really doesn't matter, wear what you like. No one will be handing out fashion awards as you leave port.
    I'm with Twinfoxes in the sense that I prefer to look nice when I'm out and about. I know many people are bounded by wearing sensible footwear (I have relatively uncomplicated feet that can wear cute shoes--even all day at Disney without pain) but otherwise I do think that many fashionable items are also very comfortable. I'm a huge fan of skirts and dresses which are just as breezy and comfy as shorts but look way nicer, for example. I think if you want to look really nice you can! Now as for specific requests, I'm kind of stuck there. I haven't been to Europe for 2 decades. I do think that the locales you are visiting might not be the most fashion forward parts of Europe so maybe just aim for your own best American fashion. At least you'll look great with your fellow cruise mates. And you'll feel confident as you view magnificent sites and snap a million pictures.

Personally, I'd consider slightly nicer outfits for any city vacation. Even if you're with a large group of tourists and others assume you're one, too, you will still be taking photos. Plus, it just feels "right" when you're in a city (as opposed to the beach, mountains, lake, or other casual outdoor vacation)!

I'm not talking about wearing 3" heels or uncomfortably tight dresses. When we went to Italy last year, my outfits consisted primarily of cute "wash-and-wear" dresses I didn't have to iron (e.g., a simple black tank dress by Everlane, a navy wrap dress by Boden, and a black and white polka dot A-line dress from a random brand that I found at TJ Maxx), 1 pair of mid-thigh black CK shorts from Costco (I know, shorts aren't considered chic but I wanted a casual option when it was 31 degrees C/87 degrees F!), 1 pair of black ponte CK pants (also from Costco!), and 3 cute tops (2 Max Studio tops from TJ Maxx and a black cowl neck tank from Amazon!). I wore a pair of very comfortable Ecco Damara sandals (recommended by several travel bloggers, and they're cute!), plus I brought some "fancier" leather black Cole Haan wedges for dressier restaurants. I also read a bunch of travel blogs by American women who went to Europe/Italy to see what they wore. Since we travel carry-on only, I knew I needed a simple color palate so I could mix and match items.

Hope that helps!

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I too like to wear cute but comfy outfits for city vacations, mainly because that tends to be the only time we get to take tons of family photos!
    I wouldn’t buy stuff just for this or to fit in, but I’d choose nicer stuff from my closet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2