Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    newmomto1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What to do and see in NYC with teens???

We are planning to go to New York City this summer with our kids (12 & 15).
    We will be there the week of July 4th.
    So far we are planning to see a couple of shows, Statue of Liberty, and WTC memorial.
    What else do you all recommend?
    We are trying to decide how many days to stay.
    TIA!!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

A friend of mine who visits frequently and has time to explore when her DD is modeling says Governor's Island is a lesser known gem. They love to explore it.

Rent bikes or boats in Central Park.

High line, DUMBO and walk across across Brooklyn Bridge is fun for teens.

Hit up local gems for artisan pizza or good ethnic eats afterwards in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Hopefully you got your SOL tickets already since they sell out really far ahead.

Our to dos are the Met, Chelsea Market, TOTR, Nintendo store. Plus a show (whatever looks good).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with you going to one or more shows. Try the discount ticket booth if you’re not picky. The Tenement Museum is really interesting. I’ve been before and a friend whose boys were the exact same age as your kids took them and they enjoyed it. Do they like baseball? There’s always the Yankees or the Mets.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We're going to try The Vessel in Hudson Yards, the Tenement Museum, walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building, United Nations. There are a ton of museums there and we'll also go to The Met and the Museum of the Moving Image.
    Kris

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Show ideas: We loved Mean Girls. There were tons of teenagers in the audience when we saw it. Dear Evan Hansen is great, but much heavier. Of course there’s Hamilton too!

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I went with DD (16, but 15 at the time) last fall. She loved: walking across the Brooklyn Bridge and wandering around Brooklyn Bridge and DUMBO), walking the Highline and exploring Chelsea Market, exploring Central Park, the Met, seeing shows (we saw two - Waitress and Dear Evan Hansen) and shopping in the West Village and SoHo. She had a hard time with the 911 Memorial, though I think she's glad we went. She thought the Oculus was pretty cool.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What do your kids like to do?

I hate watching baseball on TV, but absolutely adore live baseball, though I've only been to the Yankees' new stadium (I went twice to see the Mets at Shea in the 1980s, but haven't been to Citi Field.)

I'm a museums person - love-love-love the Met, but also recommend the Guggenheim (take the elevator to the top and work your way down), Paley Center (formerly the Museum of Television & Radio), AMNH, and the NY Historical Society.

I went to Ellis Island (ferry from Liberty State Park in NJ) in high school, but should actually go again - I have a couple of ancestors who were processed through Ellis Island & DD has taken an interest in family history.

I don't hang out downtown (Financial District, etc.) but really think South Street Seaport and its surrounds is a cool area. Haven't been in about 15 years, though, so I don't know how much has changed.

As for shows ... there are some amazing shows running on Broadway, but keep an eye on shows like Hadestown and Ain't Too Proud to Beg, as they were heavily Tony-nominated (Tony nominations were announced today, 30 April 2019) and may pose difficulties in getting tickets. Teens I know seem to want to see Dear Evan Hansen, Hamilton (check the app for lottery tickets; it's all digital now), Waitress, and Be More Chill, with a few interested in The Prom.

I'd also like to put in a good word for Come From Away, the cast recording of which I cannot get through without sobbing because of how it connects emotionally to how it felt to be in the NYC area (in my opinion) circa 9/11/2001 even though it's physically set in Canada.

Beyond that, you've got your standards - Phantom of the Opera (which is a neat show to see), Wicked, etc. - and straight plays. If I had unlimited funds and time, I'd see the Harry Potter Play (it's 2 parts, BTW, and you pay separately for each part), Network (limited run is closing in June), and maybe Gary, but I'd have to read a bit more about them to be sure.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    Show ideas: We loved Mean Girls. There were tons of teenagers in the audience when we saw it. ...!
    The OBCR for Mean Girls is so much better than I expected it to be; I'm particularly fond of "Apex Predator."
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast