Default Cheap prepaid SIM card for iphone

DD doesn’t have a phone yet, but is going on an overnight field trip in a couple of weeks. We have an old iPhone and would like to get a cheap SIM card/prepaid plan for her to be able to text and call us (to say goodnight and to let us know when they are arriving home, which is the MO for this group).

I’ve only bought SIM card/service when traveling internationally, I’m assuming that we can do that in the US, too, but I’m having trouble figuring out what to buy and where. I, obviously, don’t want to spend a ton since it’s only for service for a few days.

Any suggestions? TIA

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Will they be allowed to even have a phone? When we took our students (5th grade), on an overnight trip for several days/nights, all cell phones were collected by the camp, and returned when we left. They were not allowed to use them at all. Any emergencies, there was a camp number for parents to call.

If you happen to have Xfinity for internet service at home, and xfinity mobile is available in your area, that would be a good option as long as the old phone is one that is allowed in their bring your own phone program. You can turn off the data and get voice & text for the cost of taxes ($3 for us). If you keep it activated for a few months, they'll send you a $100 visa card.

Ting is another option for "pay what you use".

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If the phone is GSM unlocked and will work on T-Mobile (and there is T-Mobile coverage where the field trip is), Mint Mobile has a $5 prepaid SIM that is good for 7 days, 100 minutes, 100 texts, 100 MB LTE data, available at Best Buy or Amazon.

You can check if the phone will work on Mint Mobile here: https://www.mintmobile.com/byop/

Edit: If T-Mobile won't work, you can get a $10 plan for 30 days on any carrier from Red Pocket: https://redpocket.com/plans/add/M010. Note for Verizon (labeled as "CDMA" in red) the phone must have HD voice/VoLTE capability - more info is on the website.
    Last edited by JElaineB; 04-28-2019 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks for the responses.

I know that cell phones are permitted as they’ve told us that the kids will call home at xx:00 and then will call us when they are 30 minutes from home. The expectation is that most kids have phones, but I know more than a handful that don’t. I’m hopeful that the school phone rules (not having them out during school hours/educational programming) will somehow carry over to the trip...but it’s a 5-6 hour bus ride, so I’m thinking some kids may really want to listen to music/books on the way...despite the fact that videos aren’t gong to be permitted and they will be showing a movie en route...

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbert View Post
    Thanks for the responses.

I know that cell phones are permitted as they’ve told us that the kids will call home at xx:00 and then will call us when they are 30 minutes from home. The expectation is that most kids have phones, but I know more than a handful that don’t. I’m hopeful that the school phone rules (not having them out during school hours/educational programming) will somehow carry over to the trip...but it’s a 5-6 hour bus ride, so I’m thinking some kids may really want to listen to music/books on the way...despite the fact that videos aren’t gong to be permitted and they will be showing a movie en route...

I'd check the pre-paid version of your carrier. ie, we have Sprint and have used Ting for our son when he first got a phone. Each pre-paid carrier will probably have a page on their website where you can see if you can hook up your old iPhone to that service by entering in your phone's serial number.

We used mint mobile. There was recently a deal for 8GB/mo for 3 months for $20. I’m not sure if we will stay with them after the end of the three months

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    If you happen to have Xfinity for internet service at home, and xfinity mobile is available in your area, that would be a good option as long as the old phone is one that is allowed in their bring your own phone program. You can turn off the data and get voice & text for the cost of taxes ($3 for us). If you keep it activated for a few months, they'll send you a $100 visa card.

Ting is another option for "pay what you use".
    This. We switched to Xfinity mobile (From t mobile) last fall and couldn't be happier with it. If the iPhone is a 6 or newer and can run on Verizon's network then you're good to go. FOr the $100 promo you need to port in a number but you can just get a google voice number to port. We did this for DD since she didn't previously have a phone.

If you're still looking for a plan, mint mobile has another deal going on right now. $20/mo for 8GB, buy 3 months get 3 months free.