Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default High schoolers and bedtime

What time does your high schooler go to bed on school nights, assuming homework is all finished? Do you tell him/her to go to bed?
    My 15 year old freshman stays up later than I do because I get up before 5am for work (DH does mornings with the kids and drop off, I do pick up and evenings). DH seems to think one of us needs to stay up with DS and send him to bed around 10-10:30. I feel that a 15 year old who is healthy and earning straight As and involved in school can figure out what time he needs to go to bed- and if he doesn't get enough sleep, he only has himself to blame and will figure it out. He's just home, on the couch, watching tv and playing a game on his phone, and had never done anything to lose our trust in his phone use.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Your kiddo sounds like mine and I have the same philosophy you do. Only occasionally do we suggest going to bed. He's really pretty self sufficient and knows how much sleep he needs.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

15 year old DD - same thing. She's a total night owl, and we don't try to manage her sleep. Occasionally if she's cranky/sleep deprived I'll make a comment about getting some extra sleep.

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My freshman DS sounds like yours. He always wakes up in a great mood, so I figure he’s well rested enough. He goes to bed around 10:30ish on his own. My 7th grade, on the other, needed so be nagged and prodded to finally get to bed at 10:30. She wakes up grumpy most mornings and complaining she’s still tired. Obvious solution would be to get to bed earlier, but she fights it and it’s a losing battle. She does sleep in on weekends when she doesn’t have soccer, while DS rarely sleeps in much. I value sleep and good sleep hygiene so much, but constantly butt heads with DD.

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My freshman DS sounds like yours. He always wakes up in a great mood, so I figure he’s well rested enough. He goes to bed around 10:30ish on his own. My 7th grade, on the other, needed so be nagged and prodded to finally get to bed at 10:30. She wakes up grumpy most mornings and complaining she’s still tired. Obvious solution would be to get to bed earlier, but she fights it and it’s a losing battle. She does sleep in on weekends when she doesn’t have soccer, while DS rarely sleeps in much. I value sleep and good sleep hygiene so much, but constantly butt heads with DD.

I enforce a 10 pm bed time. No phone or texting after 9 pm. Phones in the kitchen at night. If the kids stay up reading in their rooms that’s fine. But no screens or TV after 10 pm.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    I enforce a 10 pm bed time. No phone or texting after 9 pm. Phones in the kitchen at night. If the kids stay up reading in their rooms that’s fine. But no screens or TV after 10 pm.
    This is about what we do too. I'm more relaxed on it Tuesday nights (late start Wed) and the weekend. But, I like quiet time myself at night and they will read anyway, so starting that by 10 is good. They are all up by 6:30.
    Kris

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My sophomore who will be 16 in June goes to bed when she is ready, she gets her homework done as needed independently, is on the honor roll and gets everything done. She gets up at 6:45 and has never missed the bus. During swim season she was at the pool by 5:15, but even then, she usually is still awake at 10:30 or so. I stay up later but she's usually in her room by 10ish, reading or finishing up something. She uses her phone to wake up/read on and we don't have the phone outside of her room, for us it hasn't been an issue, yet anyway. It's also not unheard of for her to come down at 11 to make a batch of slime, get a snack, come sit and talk, it's not all the time and I'm ok with that.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    This is pretty much me with 15 year old DS1, although I tell him to be in bed by 10:30. Screens go away at 9 and stay in my bedroom (if they were in the kitchen he'd just take them after I go to bed). If I didn't say a word or take his screens then he'd stay up all night playing video games. Even then, he never wakes up on his own in the morning and is the deepest sleeper I know. On the weekends, if he doesn't have anything to do, he's been known to sleep all the way until late afternoon, even till dinner time a few times. He also reads a ton (takes a 1+ hour bath with his waterproof Kindle every night) and has been known to finish an entire book after going to bed.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

I don’t have a teen, but I do work with teens. There have been many studies showing that teens’ body clocks are set for most of them to stay up late and sleep late. This is why there’s a movement to push the start time for high schools later in the mornings. I think setting a strict, early bedtime for teens is a losing battle and one it’s not worth fighting. I do think asking teens to commit to a time for screen shut down is important. It’s not an issue of trust or misuse. Screens interfere with sleep. This has been scientifically proven as well. If screens are on, sleep will be delayed. I’ve been known to check one more thing on my phone at midnight and find myself wide awake and still on my phone at 3 am even if I was exhausted before! It’s worth having your teen set a phone notification for a certain time every night that’s at least an hour earlier than when they plan to go to sleep. Teaching kids sleep hygiene is important. The best way to get good sleep is to strive to go to sleep at the same time each night and wake at the same time each morning. Setting a phone shut down time can help with this. Also, on iphones you can set your screen to display warmer light rather than bluer light after a certain time at night, and that helps, too, but the phone should still go off an hour before sleep time and, preferably, at the same time each night. Older teens can regulate all this for themselves. Younger ones may need a rule in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast