Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Dd has friends (8th graders) who are up till 2-3 in the morning on their phones with all the alerts etc. I teach my kids good sleep hygiene. Every kid is different. My kids need the limits in order to learn how to handle the phones etc.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just wondering what time all your kids get up if they're going to bed at 10-11? Mine get up around 5:30 and are completely miserable if they go to bed past 9:30, especially the 8th grader. So I do try to enforce a bit but they are usually good about knowing when to shut it all down. (Although saying that they went to bed at about 10 last night! I'm sure I'll be paying for that today lol.)
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Do your kids not do activities if they have 10pm bedtimes? During musical season (Feb-early May), it’s not uncommon for ds1 to get home between 10-11pm by the end (9:30 earlier in the season) and he still has homework (practice starts at 6 and he had sports after school). Marching band gets done at 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Do your kids not do activities if they have 10pm bedtimes? During musical season (Feb-early May), it’s not uncommon for ds1 to get home between 10-11pm by the end (9:30 earlier in the season) and he still has homework (practice starts at 6 and he had sports after school). Marching band gets done at 9.

Yes they both do sports. Depending on if it's a practice day or game day they could get home anywhere from 4pm-7:30pm. Then some combo of dinner shower homework. And they are usually wiped out. Maybe they're wimps.

Wow I don't think kids here can do a combo like marching band and sports. I think both practice at the same-ish times and you're expected to commit to each one. DD1 sports rules were that her sport takes priority over everything else (besides school work but if you're not keeping up your grades you're not playing anyway).
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

OP here. My DS1 is in marching band and a spring-season JV sport. In the fall when band was most active, he had some really late nights. He gets up about 6:30 am for school but will sleep usually until 8-9 on weekends. I'm trying to foster his abilities to take care of himself and manage his own time. So if he didn't get enough sleep and feels tired the next day, generally it's his problem. I'm not going to call him and tell him to go to bed when he's at college so I feel this is the time to let him figure it out. Generally, he is my rule follower though, so I trust him to figure out what works for him given the commitments and constraints he has (must go to school on time, must eat breakfast, must finish homework, must attend mandatory practices, etc. )

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    Just wondering what time all your kids get up if they're going to bed at 10-11? Mine get up around 5:30 and are completely miserable if they go to bed past 9:30, especially the 8th grader. So I do try to enforce a bit but they are usually good about knowing when to shut it all down. (Although saying that they went to bed at about 10 last night! I'm sure I'll be paying for that today lol.)
    DS1 wakes up at 7:20 usually for breakfast. School starts at 8:30. This trimester, he has a free period first on Tuesdays so doesn't need to get to school till 9:40 so is able to sleep in till 8:30 those days. No way could he get up at 5:30!

My DS1 is taking the relaxed high schooler approach. He goes rock climbing once or twice during the week and is home around 8:45pm. That's all he has on weekdays and also has very little homework. On the weekends he has Japanese school early Sat mornings for 4 hours and then goes rock climbing again on Sunday afternoons. That's it.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have no idea what time DS1 goes to sleep. He is usually in his room by 9-9:30. He has nearly straight A's in honors classes as a freshman, gets himself up and on the bus on time every morning without fuss, and is not cranky or irritable (as if lacking sleep) so I'm letting him figure it out on his own.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    DS1 gets up at 6:40am and has a very efficient schedule that gets him up, fed and out the door for the bus at 7:05am. He showers at night.

We don't have any activities that go that late. DS2 just finished the spring musical and the latest practices went to 6:30pm. Performances were later, but that was on the weekend. Most activities are finished by 8-8:30pm here.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS1 gets up about 6:25 on Mon, Tues and Fri. He leaves at 6:50 for the bus. Wed is late start and he leaves here about 9:30, so he sleeps in. And Thurs I usually drive him so he gets a little more sleep. The bus drops at the middle school first, so if I drive just him, we don't leave until 7:25 or so.

He is in activities. Marching band goes until 9pm twice a week in the fall. Robotics goes until 9pm many days a week in the winter. Bowling is typically done early in the evening. He doesn't have anything that goes until 10 or 11pm. It was hard when it was bowling and robotics build season. He doesn't have a lot of homework usually, so could manage it pretty well in between.
    Kris

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Mine is in 8th. He does not have a bedtime. He stays up late and takes afternoon naps most days. We leave for school at 7:20, so he’s up a bit before 7. During hockey season he often has late practices (was 8-9PM, then change, drive home, and he needs a snack...will likely be later next year since he’s moving up an age group). That’s most of the school year. He started playing lacrosse this spring but that is either right after school for practice or games over before 8 (and we live 2 miles away, so not a long drive, unlike hockey which is 20-30 minutes). He is learning how to regulate himself and is super self sufficient. He’s also more progressed in puberty than a lot of 14 year old boys, so that may make a difference. I can almost guarantee I will need to be more regimented with DS2. DS2 also has ADHD and getting homework/studying done early is important where DS1 can stay up late and finish and still get A’s.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast