Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SAHMIL is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Locker room issues st hockey

Uggh! Dropped DS off at the door . Park and go in and see 3 of his teammates and him playing with stcikhandling ball . Janitor starts saying « Heyvguys « And ai said “guys , and all of them stop except DS and I tell Ds yelling “stop , get in that locker room or I’m pulling you out of Jaguars” practice was at 8:30. It was like 7:50. He goes on . I go in the rink . I’m watching game . 10 minutes later , I see DS walking down the hall hitting the same yellow ball . I go and yell “Ds give me that ball and get ready “ he’s like someone threw it out there . A teammate came out to talk to dad who is asst coach and I said did someone throw this outside and he said “Yes DF did “ this was about 8-805 . Coach hadn’t arrived yet . One by one the kids are dressed coming out . AC the asst said DS was getting skates on at like 823 . DS came out while Zamboni was in the ice . Ughhh ! There were 10 kids out at this point

In the car I told him we are getting a new helmet and new skates today and he says well I won’t wear the new skates until fall !

He again crying last night I’ll quit so you don’t have to pay all this money etc because I used the line I pay too much to have you act like this. I woke up at 3 because DH woke up and I asked did you talk with him and he said “ he can’t over the way you react “ and doesn’t focus on changing his Ds claims its ok to stick handle on locker room even when there is just s small number in there and told me to text coach and ask.

Someone help me please!

Ds got in trouble on last day of tryouts due to him and 2 boys who were playing in lockers room with a stick handling ball . The other two boys said some inappropriate things to a couple younger kids who walked in . My son was brought in too even though he didn’t say anything but I said you were playing with a stockhandling ball in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Hugs! I get it!!!
    PM’d you!
    Kim

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don’t have kids in hockey but two thoughts...1) Can you send him in with uniform essentials only and you hold his sticks until he gets out of locker room? 2) can you talk to coach and ask him/her to speak to Team about expectations in locker room and being ready for practice?

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I can feel how frustrated you are!

I'm not sure how old your DS is, but I have two boys who play travel hockey and this all sounds very typical to me. I think you should just drop him and let him bear the consequences of goofing off or not getting ready. Either the coach of the rink staff will talk to him and if it gets escalated to you as a behavior problem, then impose a consequence. But the boys get there early, can mostly get ready in about 15 minutes and there are usually rinkside hijinks and hanging around together time in there too (bottle flipping/stick play/general rampant running around wildness) that makes us crazy to watch but is perfectly normal for boys that age in this sport. I think for your own peace of mind, it would be better not to be so actively engaged. Let him figure it out - if he wants to play and improve, and doesn't want to get labeled the troublemaker or an uncoachable kid, he will change on his own. If he doesn't maybe he just isn't that invested.

The locker room antics are both a positive and negative for the boys. But it is part of figuring things out and maturing as a player/team member. When they hit squirt age and I was just dropping and going and then being there to watch the games, my attitude as a hockey mom improved tremendously - trying to manage that pre-game/post-game locker room routine is madness, so if your DS is a squirt or older and can tie his own skates, I'd check out of that part of things!

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Another double post, grrrr!
    Last edited by marinkitty; 05-03-2019 at 09:57 AM.

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are a hockey family too. Sounds relatively typical although annoying. The only thing that helped my boys is that DS1 had a kid cut from his team for behavior similar (but extreme and lasted on ice) so it was a great example of how not to act if you want to stay on the team.
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No experience at all with hockey. It doesn't exist here but if he doesn't want to continue with the team/sport, I'd let him quit it and move on. Make sure he knows that it is ok if he feels this way and he needs to tell you guys, you won't be disappointed in him, etc. It is way too much time and money to keep on if he isn't very invested/or is over it. Life has many seasons.
    K

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    No experience at all with hockey. It doesn't exist here but if he doesn't want to continue with the team/sport, I'd let him quit it and move on. Make sure he knows that it is ok if he feels this way and he needs to tell you guys, you won't be disappointed in him, etc. It is way too much time and money to keep on if he isn't very invested/or is over it. Life has many seasons.
    I agree. Does he really care about playing? Maybe take some time off to regroup and reevaluate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What age are they?

The behavior is not abnormal but it sounds like the coach has not laid down or enforced good ground rules and shouldn’t be showing up so late. There are rules about supervision as well. My oldest just finished Bantams and his coach, super nice guy fwiw, did NOT have control. In their case it showed more on the ice (kids who would talk back to refs was the big issue). We always had coaches that kept things in control before. My peewee, they had to be corralled from time to time, but the coaches were usually on them.

The locker room is the benefit of hockey...the camaraderie that can develop, that extra team building, but it can sometimes also be tricky to navigate.

I mean, let him quit if he wants to quit, but it sounds more like he feels bad about the money. I wouldn’t make him feel guilty about how much you spend. You would expect better behavior even if it was free.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Darn double post monster.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast