Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Also a hockey mom, agree it sounds similar. Not sure his age, mine just turned 13, I rarely see this stuff as I drop off and don't hang out to watch practice. Honestly most rink staff or coaches usually monitor the hallway play, the coach should/must have someone in the dressing room per USA hockey rules.

The money thing, I get, my DS understands that it's a huge expense for me, and has offered to play house vs travel (300 a season vs 2500 a season) , but I have assured him if he wants to play and puts forth the effort I'll find a way to pay (I mean who needs window coverings/paint on the walls/etc lol). I'd sit down and find out why he is talking about quitting. If he's playing high level taking a year off can be pretty detrimental, but maybe he needs a break, maybe there is a team mate being a jerk, puberty is making my kiddo very emotional, maybe that's in play?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SAHMIL is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I don’t have kids in hockey but two thoughts...1) Can you send him in with uniform essentials only and you hold his sticks until he gets out of locker room? 2) can you talk to coach and ask him/her to speak to Team about expectations in locker room and being ready for practice?
    The problem is he is on 12-U so in the sports world the kids are supposed to get it at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is 12U. He got in trouble for shenanigans already.

He is 12U. He got in trouble for shenanigans already.

My DH and I sat down with him and explained that what we see across the board from other social situations and hockey is that in the past , people thought his behavior was cute . Now it isn’t any longer . We had a remark made in another setting to us. Plus we had to let him know that he is not above the rules and that rules apply to him as well.

Part of me hates giving speeches like this . My kid has a lovable goofy side to him that is just awesome ! Part of me feels like it is killing that. He is an only child . I always wanted a house full of kids. So I’m crazy I guess but when there are boys running around my basement shooting nerf guns or running around my backyard doing that , I love it ! We don’t get to do that often . I I hate Fortnite. There aren’t many boys his age around our neighborhood. So he never gets to see kids and we can invite kids over until we are blue but people aren’t like how they were when I grew up and was over at people ‘s houses or had friends over all the time . It just feels like the kids are growing up too fast and don’t get to be kids for long .

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Sounds like you're doing every thing right. Do you guys invite the hockey kids over? We're lucky that DS has about 5 boys that have been buddies in our neighborhood, they go from one house to the other, play sports, ride bikes and fish, and the kid with the pool is always hosting. He goes to hockey friends houses too, but more during the season. Keep reaching him when it's OK to be goofy and when he needs to focus and get it done. And that age is a challenge!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah coach says he is one of the slower ones getting ready but as long as he is on time on the ice it’s alright . I don’t know if he is socializing or just taking his time . I tend to be like that myself . I don’t want to rush because well I don’t want to forget something or get in an accident

So I do have this question .... seems like there might be an issue of a “double life”

At school , my kid is the ideal student but this past year my kid felt being the “team clown” on the team was the way to go . I don’t know what to do .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2