Default Share your Scotland recommendations!

We just started to plan a semi-last minute trip to Scotland next month, without knowing too much about it! Right now, we’re thinking of going to Edinburgh, the Highlands (basing in Inverness but really just doing day trips) and a couple of days in Israel of Skye...but that’s just our first pass after doing some research today and subject to change (no flights or anything booked yet).

Hit me with your favorites, tips, recommendations, etc.

TIA!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Share your Scotland recommendations!

We were in Edinburgh and Oban last July for 4 days. Edinburgh was nice BUT we had a VERY DIFFICULT time trying to find a place to eat with the kids. Now, we were specifically looking for regional cuisine, particularly haggis, which is generally in bars. There is a law that kids can not be in a bar after a certain hour if the bar does have a full-license. The issue is, we were in an establishment at 5:45 and they wouldn’t serve us...we walked around for over 2 hours and FINALLY found a place that would allow the kids to eat. The next day we decided to stay around the Royal Mile, figuring it’d be easier to find somewhere to eat our haggis, and planned for an early dinner. We started around 4:00...8 restaurants later, we FINALLY found someplace that would allow the kids inside! Ridiculous! It would have been easier if my kids wanted Thai or Mexican...we all wanted Scottish food. Sooo...be prepared. Our friends went to Edinburgh the previous July and had no issues. Murphy’s Law, I guess. We actually ran into the same issue in Oban but knew what to look for early on.

Edinburgh - We really liked the castle and Queen Mary’s Close. There was a boat thing that looked interesting but our visit was brief. Eat tablet...a yummy candy. If you drink alcohol, Elderflower Cider is FANTASTIC!! Innes & Gunn Gunnpowder IPA is also soooo yummy!!! We cannot find either in the states. I am not a huge alcohol drinker but I still crave these! If you’d like the name of the place where we stayed, PM me...it was a great location, wonderfully appointed, great hosts, and cheap! A little loud at night but very doable as anywhere around the Royal Mile is loud. There is a Harry Potter tour as well. We didn’t do it as we did the studio tour in London...we walked along West Bow (or so my photo locations state) which was an inspiration for Diagon Alley.

We liked Edinburgh BUT wished that we skipped Edinburgh and just went straight to the Highlands/Islands instead. We LOVED Oban and Isle of Mull and Iona. I’ve heard Skye is incredible, as well as Inverness!! Enjoy every second!!! It is so magical up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Elbert - have you had your trip to Scotland yet? It would be great to hear your recommendations!

Quote Originally Posted by urquie View Post
    Elbert - have you had your trip to Scotland yet? It would be great to hear your recommendations!
    Not yet!

SASM - thanks for the (surprising) tips!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Go to Oban, my family is from there, it's a fun costal town.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Definitely Edinburgh and Inverness. Check out the site of the Battle of Culloden. Nearby are the standing stones Diana Gabaldon based Outlander on.

We were in Glasgow, too, which us just ok, but we took a short bus ride north one day to a quaint Highland games festival. One of my favorite parts of the trip! It wasnt touristy at all; we were literally the only Americans there and we got a true feel for the culture. Find one to attend if you can.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    spoiled wife
    mom to gregarious DS1 1/11
    mom to active DS2 5/13
    mom to DD 12/16