khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Cover Letter writing - diversity

I'm applying for a job at a college/university. Nowadays they are interested in diversity and inclusion, and they "encourage you to include how you will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the institution". I'm kind of at a loss on how to say something about that considering I am Caucasian. Any tips? I'm a welcoming and open minded person.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I work on a college campus and look for this type of thing in cover letters. The things that stand out are indications of diversity/inclusion training you have participated in as professional development, examples of how you have changed your work (pedagogy, policies, practices, programs) to be more inclusive of diverse students/faculty/staff, or how you would use your role/approach your work to be inclusive. You might want to reference the college's diversity statement and/or their diversity strategic plan. You could discuss your understanding of your role as an ally. So there's a lot of different ways to go.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Also keep in mind that "diversity" refers to more than just ethnicity. It also includes learning differences, socioeconomic status, non-traditional educational paths, politics, gender issues/identity, sexual orientation, and more.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

This is something we require of applicants -- HR won't approve job postings that don't require it. It can include things like research focusing on a diverse (sariana provided good examples of different kinds of "diverse") population, experience mentoring diverse students, developing a class that includes a diversity component, and things like having lived in other countries or taken students to other countries, etc. We care a lot less about what it is you do that contributes to diversity, and more that you say you did something.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    This is something we require of applicants -- HR won't approve job postings that don't require it. It can include things like research focusing on a diverse (sariana provided good examples of different kinds of "diverse") population, experience mentoring diverse students, developing a class that includes a diversity component, and things like having lived in other countries or taken students to other countries, etc. We care a lot less about what it is you do that contributes to diversity, and more that you say you did something.
    Opps. Guessed I posted this in the wrong forum by accident. But great advice! I appreciate the comments. I did take part in some LGBTQ and gender identity training at my current job, so I'll try to write about that.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008