citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Any reccs for pet hair grooming clippers?

Our rescue doodle won't tolerate professional groomers and he needs to be groomed every few months or he is unbelievably tangled and overgrown. I've decided to bite the bullet and try doing it at home. I've heard good things about Andis and Wahl products, there are several different kinds and I'm a little puzzled about which one to get as a non-expert. I want to make sure the clippers are good quality, don't overheat, and are as quiet as possible because he's easily spooked. If you have any BTDT suggestions, I'm all ears! Thanks.

for Sandy Hook

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I've had the same Oster Golden A5 clippers for at least 15 years. A groomer that I used to know recommended them. Oster also makes cordless clippers which would be nice. Make sure you know what blade size is usually used. Most clippers come with a 10 blade which is pretty short.

ETA: check out Pet Edge, they have almost every clipper and blade size.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    Last edited by trcy; 05-13-2019 at 06:24 AM.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    I've had the same Oster Golden A5 clippers for at least 15 years. A groomer that I used to know recommended them. Oster also makes cordless clippers which would be nice. Make sure you know what blade size is usually used. Most clippers come with a 10 blade which is pretty short.

ETA: check out Pet Edge, they have almost every clipper and blade size.

Thanks! Do you groom your own dog?

for Sandy Hook

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Thanks! Do you groom your own dog?
    Sometimes I clip her down. She's an Australian Shepherd, so she really shouldn't be clipped, but when her shedding gets out of control, I will clip her.

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hi you cant go wrong with either andis or oster. I prefer my andis clippers. I've had these for about 10 yrs https://smile.amazon.com/Andis-Detac.../dp/B0018KVHJO

You'll also need blades, blade cleaner I like this https://smile.amazon.com/Andis-12750.../dp/B000LNB8HK AND https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MD57UI. The jar I use to clean dirty blades. the spray cools the blades down (and cleans them) Its recommended to only clip a clean dog but I dont see the point of washing & drying a bunch of hair I'm going to cut off. So, I have 2 sets of blades - one for dirty dogs and 1 for clean dogs.

How short are you going to keep him? You may need different blade lengths or combs.

other really "nice to haves" are a grooming table with noose though you can substitute any stable surface topped with a nonstick mat (like a yoga mat or entry way mat) and a dryer. You can use a human dryer on low but having a powerful 'dog dryer' helps blow out loose coat which cuts down on shedding and helps make the end look better.

if you get combs, the SS ones are COMPLETELY worth the extra $$. I have these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RBWL1G. They work so much better than the slide on plastic ones I had that were always popping off or getting snagged.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!