Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Kondo method for buying clothes

Over the past few years, I have gotten much pickier about what I buy, asking myself several times will I use this, but after doing the whole Marie Kondo thing, I find I am even more particular than before. I only buy something if it initially “sparks joy,” fits well, and looks amazing on me. The emotional component is new, and it really does narrow down my choices!
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yes! This is so true and has made shopping less frustrating even though I find less to buy. Alison Lumbatis says if it's not a "heck yes" it's a no. I actually find the joy thing confusing for me because I often find shopping and new stuff give me a thrill but the actual items themselves weren't what I needed or really wanted. I have learned to pass by on things that were close to perfect and be content with going home empty handed, also having specific items to look for rather than just shopping randomly.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I like that quote- if it’s not a heck yes it’s a no. That’s what I mean. This is keeping in mind I am a shopper so I enjoy this process. I’m sure if you’re someone who hates shopping that you just want to get it over with and make do. But for someone like me, I think this is very helpful.

Only know about Kondo from what I read here, but there was a long time poster on here (no longer active ) who years ago phrased it as, "If I can't wait to get home and rip off the tags and wear it right away, I do not buy it." I've always felt that was a great way to put it. I also don't buy something unless I know when and where I am going to wear it and with what. In college days I was bad about buying something great on sale that I loved and looked great, but then needing to buy something else to make a complete outfit, never getting around to it, then donating it with tags still on, etc., or not having an immediate occasion for it.

I was recently listening to a book in my car and she used that same quote (in reference to which invites/optional commitments to say yes to). If it isn’t a “Hell yes!” It is a “No”. I should keep it in mind for many parts of my life, shopping included.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Yes! This is so true and has made shopping less frustrating even though I find less to buy. Alison Lumbatis says if it's not a "heck yes" it's a no. I actually find the joy thing confusing for me because I often find shopping and new stuff give me a thrill but the actual items themselves weren't what I needed or really wanted. I have learned to pass by on things that were close to perfect and be content with going home empty handed, also having specific items to look for rather than just shopping randomly.
    I agree for the most part. I’m losing weight so I have bought some “it’s good enough” as I don’t want to spend more until I reach my goal weight. I have been using her closet staples to guide my purchases , so I’m now shopping with a purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains