Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Why does the end of the year have to finish with so many banquets and parties?

This time of year is so stressful. Why does track season have to end with a banquet? Why do all of my daughter’s activities have to end with tea parties? Why does the 8th grade graduation ceremony have to include a brunch? and why does that have to include baked food? Can’t we have pastries and coffee and call it a day? Or how about no food? Same thing for May crowning. It’s a small prayer ceremony. Why does it need food? Why do so many school events have to fall in May??

And why do I keep offering to help plan/host them??
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 05-15-2019 at 10:12 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    This time of year is so stressful. Why does track season have to end with a banquet? Why do all of my daughter’s activities have to end with tea parties? Why does the 8th grade graduation ceremony have to include a brunch? and why does that have to include baked food? Can’t we have pastries and coffee and call it a day? Or how about no food? Same thing for May crowning. It’s a small prayer ceremony. Why does it need food? Why do so many school events have to fall in May??

And why do I keep offering to help plan/host them??
    Preach!!! I’m with you. Why our world has to revolve around food and excessive celebrations is beyond me. (Typed while standing in line at Walmart shopping for food for Revolutionary War Day lunch.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If you’re hosting, can’t you change the menus and do what you want?

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

And why does May involve so many school activities in the middle of the day when, you know, I'm trying to work my full time job?
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Amen to that! DS2 was upset last night that DH and I can't attend a minor class "event" one day next week because it's at 1pm. I work. DH works. This is not an awards ceremony or a party, it's just a fun day for the class but they invited parents to attend. And it's less than 1 weeks notice (We got the flyer yesterday, even though it's dated 5/1 and DS2 has a504 that includes teacher checking his folder and backpack so we know he didn't just forget to give it to us). We are in the middle of a 10 day period when we have/ had 2 high school banquets, working a full day of bingo for one high school club, deadlines for all of the paperwork for next year including getting a physical for DS1, returning parent info meeting, plus one niece's master's graduation 1.5 hours drive away and a different niece's confirmation 45 minute drive away. I'm exhausted.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

This is the primary reason I decided to become a college professor. I am in between semesters during all of the end of year craziness, banquets, field trips, field days, etc, so I don't have to take off of work for two weeks in May.

My college program has its own small graduation in addition to the big college graduation. That is something I hope to change next year. I will gladly buy a cake a punch for my students if it means scrapping yet another ceremony.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Monday night, I got an email from DD1's teacher "reminding" us that the planning meeting for the fifth grade cook out was Tuesday at 3pm and all volunteers for the cook out "had to be there". This was the first notice for the planning meeting, so not sure how it was a reminder. So, I get to work early & work through lunch because I WORK half an hour away and that was the only way I could get there. Get there & there are THREE other parents, and the teachers say "It's y'all's. Oh, and we have a list of other parents who said they couldn't come today but will help." *sigh* At least I didn't agree to head it up, but DD1's best friend's mom did, which means I know a good bit will fall to me because I'll want to help her. And why did it switch from pizza and drinks for DS two years ago to a COOK OUT? *sigh(
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    If you’re hosting, can’t you change the menus and do what you want?

Fortunately, I’m not the only one hosting. There are usually 2 or 3 of us which makes things doable. If it was just one person hosting, I’d back out completely and leave it to someone else. I wouldn’t take on a function alone. It’s not worth the effort. Unfortunately, I’m not the only one with a say in this. Otherwise, it would just be coffee and muffins or nothing at all.

I think a lot of times people just eat the food because it’s there. It doesn’t add to the solemnity or specialness of the occasion ESPECIALLY when there are 2 parties/ceremonies per week. These have become so common they aren’t special anymore. The moms who donate their time are taken for granted, the recipes we put effort into are just expected and common now. Ugh, don’t get me started.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    This is the primary reason I decided to become a college professor. I am in between semesters during all of the end of year craziness, banquets, field trips, field days, etc, so I don't have to take off of work for two weeks in May.

My college program has its own small graduation in addition to the big college graduation. That is something I hope to change next year. I will gladly buy a cake a punch for my students if it means scrapping yet another ceremony.
    You just gave me an idea. In an effort to simplify, next year (if I’m involved with this group at all), I’m pushing for more ceremonies with just a big cake and some coffee and punch. Why does it need to be more?

And why why does all the stress happen at the busiest times of the year?? Why does it pour when it rains?? I won the argument once this year (even though some busy moms pushed back! ??) to move the school charity drive from December to March. The only reason I won that fight was because some wise mamas here told me that the Goodwills and thrift shops are swamped with donations in December and they actually have to hire more help to sort through donations. Then spring rolls around and they are begging for donations. If I hadn’t argued that point AND reminded them that Lent is a time for deprivations and making reparations for our selfishness the rest of the year, I couldn’t have got it changed. Those moms wanted a charity drive in December at he same time as the Christmas shopping, Christmas concerts and receptions and all the other business. I’m starting to think that people like creating chaos for themselves.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I think a lot of times people just eat the food because it’s there. It doesn’t add to the solemnity or specialness of the occasion ESPECIALLY when there are 2 parties/ceremonies per week. These have become so common they aren’t special anymore. The moms who donate their time are taken for granted, the recipes we put effort into are just expected and common now. Ugh, don’t get me started.
    Completely agree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast