Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    You just gave me an idea. In an effort to simplify, next year (if I’m involved with this group at all), I’m pushing for more ceremonies with just a big cake and some coffee and punch. Why does it need to be more?

And why why does all the stress happen at the busiest times of the year?? Why does it pour when it rains?? I won the argument once this year (even though some busy moms pushed back! ??) to move the school charity drive from December to March. The only reason I won that fight was because some wise mamas here told me that the Goodwills and thrift shops are swamped with donations in December and they actually have to hire more help to sort through donations. Then spring rolls around and they are begging for donations. If I hadn’t argued that point AND reminded them that Lent is a time for deprivations and making reparations for our selfishness the rest of the year, I couldn’t have got it changed. Those moms wanted a charity drive in December at he same time as the Christmas shopping, Christmas concerts and receptions and all the other business. I’m starting to think that people like creating chaos for themselves.

We had SIX different fundraisers in the fall.....not a single one in the spring. One of them was a running event with “pledges” right before Christmas. This is for a 9 year old and 12 year old.

I have 2 kids in 2 different schools. How much fun can one mom have????? I was soooooo glad when DS went to HS this year. Things are simple. I bought 6 bottles of wine for the fund raising dinner and then 9 bags of tortilla chips for teacher appreciation. done. This is DD's last year/8th grade. This next 2-3 weeks is gonna kill me with all the graduation activities. The only good reason for food is because I am running so much I don't have time to make dinner etc so I just shove food in my mouth and go to the next event!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I don't get it either. I hate May more than December, it is so stressful. Plus add in DH and I both have birthdays in May and we have to contend with monster in law using those, on top of mother's day to see us. This video sums it up... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5ceQJLRp6w
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    I don't get it either. I hate May more than December, it is so stressful. Plus add in DH and I both have birthdays in May and we have to contend with monster in law using those, on top of mother's day to see us. This video sums it up... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5ceQJLRp6w
    Haha that was so funny!
    Oh the insanity of May. DS had a writing assignment due today and school ends in 3 days. It was mentioned in a newsletter the teacher sent home a week ago and he misplaced the assignment first, then insisted he wants to use “jaw surgery” as his topic!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

And why do they have to "graduate" from everything?? I don't want to spend a Saturday morning crying at pre-k graduation. I don't want to try to keep my toddler from screaming and ruining it for other families who might actually want to be there. But I REALLY don't want to fight with my 5 year old about how he has to wear actual clothes that aren't sweat pants to it!!

Edit to add confession: I hate graduations. I hated my high school graduation. I hated my PhD graduation. I skipped the ones in between. I hate having to work at graduations now.
    Last edited by gymnbomb; 05-17-2019 at 01:30 PM.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    And why do they have to "graduate" from everything?? I don't want to spend a Saturday morning crying at pre-k graduation. I don't want to try to keep my toddler from screaming and ruining it for other families who might actually want to be there. But I REALLY don't want to fight with my 5 year old about how he has to wear actual clothes that aren't sweat pants to it!!

Edit to add confession: I hate graduations. I hated my high school graduation. I hated my PhD graduation. I skipped the ones in between. I hate having to work at graduations now.
    Agreed. 8th grade graduation? Please, it's a requirement, not an accomplishment. I feel the same about high school and thought the same about my college graduation. Pass. Oh, and we should have a dance AND dinner to celebrate. More volunteer and donations! No we shouldn't.

I needed this thread, thanks

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ha! I posted that Maycember video on my PTO’s Facebook page last week. So true!

I was working at Field Day yesterday and some young new K moms were lamenting that we don’t have a K graduation. Then the older moms told them we don’t do a 6th grade graduation either (we have an over the top excessive party instead). They were saddened. I had to walk away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This year is absolutely mellow compared to last year. I worked more evenings last year so it was a constant scramble to find coverage so I could make the various things. This year, not only is there less going on but I get off earlier most days.

I don’t know how you sports families do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My friend has her son in “joy school” which is a cooperative preschool taught by moms. We did it for DD last year and it was fun. My friends group is totally doing a “graduation” for these six children, complete with hats. Her DH was asked to be the “speaker” at this graduation. They are graduating and most of them are going on to.... another year of joy school. 😆

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    Ha! I posted that Maycember video on my PTO’s Facebook page last week. So true!

I was working at Field Day yesterday and some young new K moms were lamenting that we don’t have a K graduation. Then the older moms told them we don’t do a 6th grade graduation either (we have an over the top excessive party instead). They were saddened. I had to walk away.
    DS1 thankfully didn't have anything. Ds2 had a "kindergarten celebration" which nowhere said it was anything like a graduation, just "celebrating the end of kindergarten", at 9:15 am on a random weekday. Thankfully DH was able to go in late to work and my mom was able to go because besides that, we didn't really do anything. We showed up to school with families bringing balloons, flowers, going all out...I can only imagine the insanity a kindergarten 'graduation' would be.

Now we still have a 1pm talent show, field day, and then a half day the last day to wrap up the last week of school. I'm glad I've been on maternity leave but seriously so over it.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2