Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Au Revoir Adorable Giant Plastic Horse!

DD received a whole slew of freebie stuff for Christmas this year. DH works for a big company and these toys were used for a photo shoot. Wouldn't you know he's the only employee with a little girl! One of the items we got was this horse:

https://www.target.com/p/disney-prin...s/-/A-53361076

She loved it. I loved it. It was huge. It was plastic. But it had a lot of play. We put clothes on it and she carried it all over the house. Etc.

Fast forward to a Saturday earlier this month. DH wants to get rid of stuff at our house (but only OTHER people's things at our house--not his own) and he offers to sell the horse and she can get money. She agrees. To the chagrin of my boys who worry that she'll be sad. She sells the horse AND the motorized Cinderella carriage she also received from the photo shoot for $20. DH is thrilled. She seems like she is ok.

She misses it. She wants it. It doesn't cost $20. Its a lot more. She has cried herself to sleep every night.

And FWIW, I'm struggling. Because I didn't want to sell it. I liked that toy. Part of me liked it because it is a big draw on a play date. We have a small, old house. It is nice to have some fun toys to share with our visitors. It gives the kids (and me) pride of place a little bit. DD doesn't really have very many girl toys because she's the youngest of 4 and the only girl. I also just knew she loved it. And I remembered how it felt to lose things that I really did love.

I can't talk to DH about it because I'm mad at him and sad at the loss and he'll think I'm irrational. (And I know that I am!!) And we do not communicate well when I'm upset. I do not think big plastic horses are necessary for happiness. I do know that we have a small house and the horse was relatively huge. I am proud of DD for not being attached to stuff (at least initially) and I admire that as a value. But I"m SO conflicted when she cries about it. Part of me wants to sell a bunch of my stuff and go buy another big plastic horse. But is that even a good lesson to teach her?

This Saturday DH is buying her roller skates and taking her on an adventure with the money she earned from the garage sale. Maybe she won't care after that?

This past Christmas? She only got to play with her gift for 4 months? I would be so mad, too. This is such a tiny timeframe that they are into big toys. When anymore free stuff comes home from work, I would think it through and ask DH if he's going to want to get rid of it in 4 months before gifting it.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, she’s had it for four months.

I'm 100% on your side.. When I was a girl, probably a bit younger than your DD I had a roly horse, and my brother had a bouncy horse. We had some people working on our house, and my grandmother suggested we give our horses to them because they had kids who were younger and would like them. Me being the goodie-two-shoes said yes. My brother (who is older and really was too big for the bouncy horse) refused. I missed my horse so much! That was over 40 years ago! I think it's unfair to ask kids to do things like that, they don't understand loss and missing things. And for $20? Really? After 4 months? He probably had no idea how much she used it.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

I would be irrational about that too. She’s only had it a few months and was still using it. And certainly wasn’t fair to sell it for such a small amount.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’d be super upset. Your dh should know better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sorry. I feel so bad for both of you! It seems like everyone but DH knew it wasn't a great idea. I do not think there is a lesson for her to learn. It wasn’t a good idea for DH to encourage a young child to sell a beloved toy she just received as a gift. It's not a toy that sat untouched in a corner for a year. And honestly, I find even old toys get new love during summer vacation with more time for friends to come over so I always wait until after that test before getting rid of toys. We’ve all had less than perfect judgment and she’ll survive, but ... I would be beyond angry about it and I bet she will remember it for a long time.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Can you see if you can find a used one somewhere? Heck, I'd be tempted to buy her a new one... I know it's pricey but I would be really tempted.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Can you see if you can find a used one somewhere? Heck, I'd be tempted to buy her a new one... I know it's pricey but I would be really tempted.
    This is exactly my take on it. I totally agree with what you are feeling OP. Maybe look at a kid’s resale or Facebook marketplace?
    K

I would be pissed as well. You aren’t overreacting. He convinced his 5 year old to sell a new beloved toy for $20. Not cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast