Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I think your DD is a year or 1.5 younger than DS2, and I'm mad on your behalf! 4 months is nothing in a child's frame of reference as far toys go in their house. DH keeps trying to suggest we get rid of ds2 huge workshop but I won't, despite him not playing much with it 60%. Thing is, we had a horrible Saturday until yesterday with CONSTANT rain all.day daily and he played so so much with that toy.

Also huge draw for his little friends when they come over for playdates. I told DH a year-2 years is most I try to keep big expensive toys around, and we HAVE the space to keep it so I didn't see any validity in his argument. Can't you see for something like that as used toy with FB buy/sell groups???
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

There’s one for $40 on my fb marketplace
    K

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Can you see if you can find a used one somewhere? Heck, I'd be tempted to buy her a new one... I know it's pricey but I would be really tempted.
    I really want to!! It is so silly of me to do this. And probably not the right lesson for her. She just went to bad last night crying because she really wanted her horse so bad. It made me die inside, partially because I've BEEN there with my toys. I will look online. I'm conflicted about whether this is a lesson I want her to learn. HOwever, *I* want the horse again, lol! Too bad I missed mother's day. Maybe I can get it for DH for Father's Day coming up.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

That horse looks amazing! I’m so sorry that your daughter is missing her horse friend. What a frustrating situation!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I really want to!! It is so silly of me to do this. And probably not the right lesson for her. She just went to bad last night crying because she really wanted her horse so bad. It made me die inside, partially because I've BEEN there with my toys. I will look online. I'm conflicted about whether this is a lesson I want her to learn. HOwever, *I* want the horse again, lol! Too bad I missed mother's day. Maybe I can get it for DH for Father's Day coming up.
    Sounds to me like your poor daughter got taken advantage of by her dad. I don’t see a lesson here for her, I think the lesson is for DH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Sounds to me like your poor daughter got taken advantage of by her dad. I don’t see a lesson here for her, I think the lesson is for DH.

I do not understand the lesson comments either. For her changing her mind? It was a mistake, but it wasn't her mistake. She shouldn't have been put in that position. This isn't like giving her a PB&J sandwich she asked for and her changing her mind and saying she wanted cheese. This was a bigger deal that needed a lot more guidance and thinking through for a 5 year old and almost ever person older than her in the house knew it wasn't a good idea. You do the talk about parents make mistakes, too, the responsible thing is to try and correct them, etc.

[ETA: There is one for sale in my area used with matted hair for $50. Under any circumstance, DH shouldn't be pleased with $20.]
    Last edited by specialp; 05-16-2019 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    OMG, I'd get one for him and put a big bow on it like a Lexus.

What was your DH's reaction to her crying?
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I guess the lesson learned is don’t get swindled next time. Know the fair market price of your goods before selling and don’t accept lowball offers. Truly, your dh should be ashamed of himself, imo. He got ripped off and really upset his dd for no reason at all. Absolutely buy a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    OMG, I'd get one for him and put a big bow on it like a Lexus.

What was your DH's reaction to her crying?
    Yes, it’s should be his father’s day present. Perfect idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I guess I am the odd man out and I hope my response is not taken the wrong way.

As the minimalist I have to say I think it's no big deal that your husband did it and I think the responses on this thread are mostly unfair. It's atrociously huge and she agreed (it wasn't like he spirited it out in the middle of the night). There are fun things she could do with $20 and that thing was an eye sore IMO. As a bargain hunter also I don't think it was a huge loss, people sell stuff like that for a fraction of cost all the time at thrift and yard sales, mostly for the same reason he probably wanted to get rid of it: it was huge and not exactly an heirloom quality toy.

At the same time, if she is genuinely still missing it, I think it's totally fine to buy another one. I would chalk it up to lesson learned and put out a ISO post on Facebook. This is not a devastating loss, or something that should come between you and your DH or between your daughter and him! It's just a toy and you need to keep perspective. It sounds like he wants to get rid of lots of kid stuff but not his own and that is a whole other issue IMO. That does seem like it could be addressed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast